FIXED Whirlpool ET8BPKXKQ00 relay clicks repeatedly a few times a day

jape

Premium Member
Model
ET8BPKXKQ00
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi All,

My whirlpool ET8BPKXKQ00 refrigerator started "clicking" for a few minutes a couple of times a day. When this happens the compressor is running but stops momentarily when the click happens. The fridge light bulb also dims slightly when when the click happens. The clicking sounds like it is coming from the defrost board inside the fridge. I have already replaced the defrost board but the problem persists.

Here's a video of this happening:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uyAtnfK0OpMLRSGQGK-lT6wWz7qshFPi/view

You can't really hear the compressor in the video but it is running when this clicking happens.

I've checked the temperature of the fridge and freezer, and both seem OK.

Any ideas?

JP

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok JP,

If the relay clicks two times, check for an open defrost thermostat(bi-metal). You will need to take everything out of your freezer and remove the back panel inside the freezer, then you will see it clipped onto the top of your evaporator coil.

You'll need a multimeter to ohm test your defrost thermostat(bi-metal). Unplug your refrigerator first before ohm testing.

To ohm test the defrost thermostat(bi-metal) for continuity it has to be frosty when you ohm test it, if not you will not get a proper reading.

You can also ohm test it in a glass of ice water and wait at least 5 minutes before ohm testing it per the video below.

Some defrost thermostats have quick disconnects that just unsnap from the wiring harness and some don't, if your model doesn't then you will need to cut the wires to it, but don't cut to close to the defrost thermostat itself as you will need to reconnect it back in place with 2 wire nuts, I use the orange colored wire nuts.

Here's the defrost thermostat(bi-metal) for your model:
Defrost Thermostat WP4387490

Watch this video to ohm test your defrost thermostat:

[video=youtube_share;zmdsBkO46dk]https://youtu.be/zmdsBkO46dk[/video]

Let us know what you find.

Jake

jape

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. Yes, it clicks twice.

The sequence is : click, compressor turns off, short pause, click, compressor turns on, longer pause (repeat for 2 minutes or so).

I'll try testing the defrost thermostat.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, keep us posted.

Jake

jape

Premium Member
After sitting in an ice water bath for 5 minutes, the thermostat measures 135 kilo ohms.

It looks weird to me though. It's like the plastic inner piece has popped out of the outer metal casing. I'll add a pic.
IMG_20190413_135845.jpg

The other thing that looks curious is the heating element seems to be bowed and is touching the heat exchange fins. Some of the fins seem bent where the element is most bowed.
IMG_20190413_144346.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

jape

Premium Member
Thanks for diagnosing the freezer defrost thermostat problem. I replaced it and it is working correctly now. Defrost cycle is producing water and the clicking has stopped.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear the new defrost thermostat fixed it.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake