• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool French Door Fridge WRX986SIHZ - Water and Ice Dispenser Not Working

surfmaster2012

Premium Member
Model Number
WRX986SIHZ
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a Whirlpool French Door Fridge, model no. WRX986SIHZ, that just abruptly stopped dispensing water and ice a few days ago. The water filter was changed just two months ago and there was never an issue with slow water dispensing. For the past two weeks, the red "door ajar" warning light would appear and then disappear in about five seconds or less. The lower freezer compartment is a bit full but appears to be fully closed as there are no gaps around the weatherstrip.

What could be the problem as we miss the water dispenser feature, and ice, too?

History of the fridge: Ice production was always slow and iffy. Cooling was also an issue since we purchased it in 2019, requiring at least two warranty visits by a local appliance repair company to replace a few parts. It has also had defrost issues, requiring me to change the freezer and fresh food thermostats. Cool and freezing are okay.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
WRX986SIHZ is incomplete, we would need the complete model number.

Read it from the model number tag located inside the refrigerator section on the upper walls or ceiling.

Its possibly the DELI UI Board SHORTING OUT, that has happened before on others, disconnect the wire harness to it and see if everything goes back to normal.

Jake

surfmaster2012

Premium Member
Hi Jake, thanks for your reply. Sorry about not having a complete model number. My full model number is WRX986SIHZ00.
Our Deli UI board has not worked since last year. I researched past threads and noticed this bad board affects interior lights, ice/water, and door ajar warning,
https://www.applianceblog.com/mainf...dispense-ice-and-water-door-ajar-alarm.92542/

I'll disconnect it and check the wiring harness.

Question, can I leave the Deli UI board disconnected and not replace it? If so, what other things would not be working except for the controls on this board?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
My full model number is WRX986SIHZ00.
Thanks!

Question, can I leave the Deli UI board disconnected and not replace it? If so, what other things would not be working except for the controls on this board?
Yes, you can, others have done the same. Just use black electrical tape to tape the wire connector connector end, so moisture does not get into that connector.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

surfmaster2012

Premium Member
Jake, thanks again for confirming that I can run the fridge without a connected pantry UI board. I will disconnect it and use electrical tape to tape the wire connectors.
I will follow up in a few days.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.