Whirlpool French Door Refrigerator - WRX735SDBM00 - ice compartment not cold enough

mjschmid

Premium Member
Model Number
WRX735SDBM00
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a Whirlpool French Door Refrigerator Model # WRX735SDBM00 that stopped producing ice about 3 months ago. I switched out the ice maker and wiring harness with the new upgraded ice maker kit for this model. The ice maker was working flawlessly until last week when it started producing ice very slow. It will only make 2-3 ice cycles per day. Prior to this it was producing 12-14 ice cycles per day.

In starting to trouble shooting the issue I noticed the temperature in the ice compartment (located inside the refrigerator) is not cold enough to produce ice efficiently according the the owners manual, its about 18 degrees and the manual says it needs to be below 10 degrees. However, the bottom mount freezer drawer is 0 degrees. The only temp controls on the refrigerator are through the digital control panel on the door and the freezer is set to 0 degrees. When I set the freezer temperature lower the freezer does get colder but the ice compartment does not.

Why is the ice compartment not getting cold enough when the freezer is cooling just fine?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Sounds like your ice maker fan may not be running.

Here's the tech. data sheet for your model: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mkEgqVSlgucPjmKx24r0kZBoAywVNuRE

Get into Service Diagnostics then:

Do Service Test 36 - Ice Box Fan
Do Service Test 37 - Ice Box Thermistor

When you do the Ice Box Fan Test, listen for the fan sound in the ice maker box, to see if its running.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

mjschmid

Premium Member
Thank you for the suggestions. I went into service diagnostics and did test 36 and 37.

I don’t notice a difference in the sound in the ice box before or after going to test 36 but it does sound like there is air moving. I’m not sure if this would be the fan and it was running before doing the test?? The panel flashes 01 when on this test. The same for test 37 - the panel flashes 01.

Also, when switching between test 36 and 37 I hear a noise as if something is moving or cycling which “runs” for about 5 seconds and then stops?

Any thoughts?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Also, when switching between test 36 and 37 I hear a noise as if something is moving or cycling which “runs” for about 5 seconds and then stops?
When switching from TEST 36 to TEST 37 its likely the ice box fan shutting off when you exit TEST 36.

Do you notice a temperature increase inside the freezer?

Do you have a freezer thermometer you can put in the freezer to tell me what it reads?

I located a service bulletin that says: --->The first symptom a customer notices is usually a decrease in ice production followed by noticeable temperature increase in freezer temperature and longer than normal cooling cycles.

Jake

mjschmid

Premium Member
Currently Temps are set as follows:

Freezer = -1
Refrigerator = 35

Actual temps using the same thermometer are as follows:

Freezer = 1
Refrigerator = 37
Ice compartment = 13

What repair is that service bulletin indicating?

Any other thoughts?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your temperatures look good.

What repair is that service bulletin indicating?
Sealed system problem, but your sealed system is fine with those temperatures.

Ok, Is there ice in the ice cube slots now, but it just won't cycle and dump them?

Or is the ice maker tray dry? If its dry you may have a water inlet valve problem. Fill the ice maker tray manually and see if it dumps the ice in about 90 minutes.

Jake

mjschmid

Premium Member
The ice cube trays fill fine. It is making ice but only about 2-3 cycles per day. Each cycle can take 4-5 hours between fill and drop which I attributed to the higher temps in the ice box - unless I am wrong about that? Not sure what other options would be causing the cycles to be so long and so few per day?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If the Ice compartment = 13 degrees it work great, I have no idea why the temperature is rising unless your ice maker heater is sticking on at times.

Here's the ice maker kit for your model:
W10882923 Icemaker

Did you buy it from one of our two part suppliers? If so, you have a 365 day warranty on it.

AppliancePartsPros and RepairClinic, that both give you a 365 parts warranty on ALL parts they sell.:)

Jake

mjschmid

Premium Member
The first thing I did is change out the ice maker when trying to trouble shoot this, so I swapped in a new one about 5 days ago and it didnt fix the issue. I did not change the wire harness though, do you think that could be the problem?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, change the wire harness too and see if that fixes it.:)

Jake