• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Fridge GI6SARXXF06 icemaker occasionally floods

pdpantages

Premium Member
Model Number
GI6SARXXF06
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello Forum,

I have an icemaker that occasionally gets blocked up and leaks water out of the front of the dispenser. By occasionally, I mean about every 6 months or so. The first time this happened I turned the fill adjustment 1/2 turn CW. I thought I had fixed it but the problem has returned.

When I take it out the bin, I can see the bin has filled with water and froze, eventually filling up enough to make water leak out the front.

I find that the little funnel at the back of the icemaker is filled with water and frozen. So any new water that is dispensed, just washes off the top of the funnel and sprays into the bin.

I am *guessing* that somehow, the neck of the funnel ends up with water in it. Once this freezes, the funnel is plugged and the next cycle fills the funnel up and then that freezes. After that the water spills out over the top of the funnel on each fill up.

I carefully thawed the icemaker out to see if there was any debris blocking the funnel. None.

Some notes:
Icemaker: Replaced 03/2020, 11/2020. This was actually a second replacement; my first failed under warranty. So mine is now out of 1 yr warranty.

Fill times: I checked the fill times with my stopwatch on my phone. Turning the fill adjustment clockwise does not seem to change fill times.
Original: 6.9s 6.6s
Turned 1/2 turn CW: 6.71s, 6.7s
Turned another full turn CW: 6.83s
The adjustment doesn't offer any resistance (to turning) when I adjust it, so I wondered if it was adjusting anything. But the first replacement (yes I kept it) feels the same way. Regardless, < 7s should not be an excessive fill time. See pic for the size of my cubes.

Water Pressure: Good. A few years ago I measured it at 80PSI static.

Misc: T+H jumper: not really part of this discussion, but I find that jumping T+H pins does NOT start my harvest cycle. I have always wondered about this. The connector that goes into T&H only had 1 conductor on it. See pic. But the icemaker harvests properly when installed so I am not concerned about this, just wondered why mine was different.

So I am at a bit of a loss as to what happens, and why it is not consistent. Any help will be appreciated.

Pics:
- Size of my cubes after first fill adjustment
- Style of my adjusting screw
- My T&H connector showing single conductor only

Attachments

• IMG_20211021_184021924.jpg
    IMG_20211021_184021924.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20211022_152753668.jpg
    IMG_20211022_152753668.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20211022_163249719.jpg
    IMG_20211022_163249719.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 20

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Here's the ice maker for your model:
W10882923 Icemaker

Did you replace the wire harness that came with it?

Per this video:

Another member had this same issue and they replaced the water inlet valve and ice maker and it still leaked:

Like I mentioned to them--->The Whirlpool Factory needs to get involved in this to find the problem then.

Jake

pdpantages

Premium Member
Thank you for the reply Jake.

Yes, the replacements came with two styles of harness; I had to change the harness bc connectors didn't match the original. I am quite certain I did this correctly.

I read the other article; it sounds like a similar problem to what I have. But I don't normally get leakage (they were getting it all the time, even after new parts); in my case it works for several months before getting frozen up.

Is it possible for the water fill to run when the ice hasn't been ejected? This would result in the blocking of the funnel spout and then the next cycle, whether ice ejected or not, the funnel being filled and frozen.

Note that I did not have this problem with earlier ice makers (the original and first replacement) - in those cases it stopped making ice.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, The armature in the water inlet valve solenoid coil is not seating correctly on the diaphragm and it's letting a small amount of water past. That's probably what's happening to you intermittently.

Here's the water inlet valve for your model:
whirlpool-valve-dual-water-wpw10312696-ap6019288_01_m.jpg

I believe this video is basically the same for replacing that water inlet valve:

Jake

pdpantages

Premium Member
OK thank you.

Just FYI, the repair clinic link for the valve above anrdoezrs does not resolve. I looked in AppliancePartsPros

My fridge may have 2 valves. The one on the back of the fridge is #W10498990 (see pic). This is listed in "icemaker parts" diagram at AppliancePartsPros.

The part WPW10312696 (you recommended replacing) is listed as "Refrigerator Liner Parts". I only noticed it was there when I searched for "valve" within the model #. Initially I thought you had the wrong part number. :)

I thought it was a bit confusing at first. I remember when I looked at this last year (I was going to buy WPW10312696, and wanted to check the Part No first), I thought that I had a different valve and took the pic of it to sort things out later.

Anyway, I think it is clear now; thank you kindly for the advice.

Thanks, PDP

Attachments

• IMG_20210626_155150124.jpg
    IMG_20210626_155150124.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 13

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Just FYI, the repair clinic link for the valve above anrdoezrs does not resolve.
It resolves fine for me. There was a bit of a lag time, but I have shitty RURAL internet anyways. LOL

Here's the video for the dual water inlet valve inside the refrigerator section:

Yes, that water inlet valve in the back is the single primary one:
WPW10498990 Valve-Inlt

The dual secondary water inlet valve that I posted the link to above is usually the one that leaks a tiny amount of water into the ice maker fill tube and clogs it up with ice.

Jake