Whirlpool frontload won't power up

vaMatt

Premium Member
Model Number
WFW9200SQ01
Brand
Whirlpool
Hey gang,

I'm puzzled by this one. My washer showed F70 code. Initially it cleared and I was able to watch the machine start a cycle. Drum rotated, cycle worked normally but then stopped partway through the process. It then died completely...beeps 3 times when power button is pressed. Went through the troubleshooting steps and everything checked out on the wiring, etc. Seemed to indicate the user interface. Replaced that...same behavior. Replaced the CCU...same behavior. Found thread on this site saying to remove the blue wire harness to the motor control unit. Sure enough with that disconnected, machine powers up and acts like it's going to run. Replaced motor control unit...sigh...same behavior. Still just getting the 3 beeps as long as everything is connected up. Remove the blue wire harness on motor control unit and the machine powers up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (By the way, full disclosure, I replaced each of these units with used parts purchased off ebay.)

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Can you get your money back from the seller on ebay?

The problem is the MCU, every member here with this same F70 error code DID THIS SAME THING:
Found thread on this site saying to remove the blue wire harness to the motor control unit. Sure enough with that disconnected, machine powers up and acts like it's going to run.
And the new MCU they got through our parts supplier fixed it EVERYTIME.:)

Here's the MCU through our parts supplier you can order:
Whirlpool 8183196 Electronic Control Board - AppliancePartsPros.com

Read what I say about buying parts on ebay on my 2nd post here: Don't Buy Any Appliances or Appliance Parts on EBAY or AMAZON

Jake

vaMatt

Premium Member
Consider that lesson learned. Thanks.

So, I went ahead and put my washer back together with all the original parts. Now it powers up even with the wire harness connected to the MCU. Have you seen this behavior?

Also, does it mean anything if the washer won't cycle through the diagnostic tests?

Thanks.
vaMatt

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Now it powers up even with the wire harness connected to the MCU. Have you seen this behavior?
Yup, but trust me, it will happen again until you replace the MCU through our parts supplier.:)

Also, does it mean anything if the washer won't cycle through the diagnostic tests?
Yup, its likely the MCU causing that as well.

Jake