• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Gas Range GFG461LVQ3 - intermittent oven & broiler spark

AGM_42

Model Number
GFG461LVQ3
Brand
Whirlpool
Having an issue with the oven on my range and could use some advice. While the stovetop sparks and ignites just fine, the main oven and broiler igniters have been working intermittently for a while. When turning the oven on, you can hear the gas valve open and smell gas running, and the oven clicks 4-time as usual, but no sparks and then the valve closes again.
As my model and the spark module was close to the one in this post: https://www.applianceblog.com/mainf...fg461lvs1-gas-oven-no-spark.82910/post-423326 I've already tried measuring the voltage with my meter with the bake function turned on and the board appears to be sending 110-120V as it's supposed to. I pulled the interior apart to get at the igniters and cleaned both the electrical contact and the spark post end.
When I reassembled the oven, it appeared to be fixed and was working fine. I ran it for an hour or two, and the sparks appeared to be working properly every time. The next morning, it was back to only working intermittently. No I know this might still be a fault in the spark module or main board, but I'd like to check if this is a problem with the wiring first. But the replacement wires are $75 and I don't want to drop that much on parts if it's just going to be a junked unit. Does anyone know if there's a way to check the wires themselves using a meter? Or maybe if there are cheap wires that will do the same job, just as a way to test if that fixes the spark problem, before I buy the right parts?
Or is there something in the fix that I've missed?

Thanks,
-A

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'd first unplug the range, then ohm test your DSI Gas Valve to make sure your getting about 216 ohms and the bake and broil solenoids.

Here's the DSI Gas Valve for your model:
Safety Valve WPW10602001
C- Direct Spark Gas Valves.jpg

ReapairClinic ships to Canada: https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Valve-And-Pressure-Regulator/WPW10602001/3023210

Jake