• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool GD25DQXFW01 suddenly too cold on refrigerator side

DickinSD

Premium Member
Model Number
GD25DQXFW01
Brand
Whirlpool
This unit has been working flawlessly for years, set to #3 on the refrigerator control. However, over the last several weeks, we've had eggs which had frozen (located on top full-width shelf, but on side away from freezer). Stuck a thermometer in -- 28 degrees F. Reset dial to #2 -- waiting to see the effect. I've read a couple of blogs which seem to address this problem, and checked some things, but wonder if the community might suggest what further I might try.
1. Icemaker has water line attached, and produces ice no problem. Water dispenser dispenses good chilled water.
2. Can definitely feel cold air coming through the passage from the freezer.
3. Looked for vent(s) which might be blocked, but don't see any. Where should it/they be?
4. Hear unit go into/come back out of defrost cycle daily (although would prefer to adjust when that occurs -- is that easily done?).
Thoughts? Things I should check next? Should I hear anything happen at the passage from the freezer when I change the refrigerator temperature setting (motor running, solenoid click, etc.)?
Dick in San Diego

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
What temperature is the freezer? It should be about +5 deg. F. down to -2 if you have an icemaker, for best ice production. The colder the freezer gets, the colder the fridge compartment will get on your model.

would prefer to adjust when [defrost] occurs -- is that easily done

No. It is electronically controlled on your model. It's timing will usually vary depending on run time of the compressor.

Dan O.

DickinSD

Premium Member
Supplemental: Kept looking; found return air vent on left side, TOTALLY blocked by a loaf of my wife's (heavy) all-grain bread! Moved same; setting temperature control back to normal to see if that was all it took.

DickinSD

Premium Member
Where in the freezer should I place the thermometer? Top? Bottom? Middle? Does it matter? And is the following notion as to how a refrigerator/freezer works correct: first, you set the freezer control to maintain the desired temperature in it, and then the refrigerator setting controls the flow of chilled air from the freezer section into it? Does the refrigerator side have any cooling mechanism of its own, or depend solely on the chilled air from the freezer?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
DickinSD said:
found return air vent on left side, TOTALLY blocked by a loaf of my wife's (heavy) all-grain bread!

Glad it wasn't a failure.

DickinSD said:
Where in the freezer should I place the thermometer?

In a middle position not in direct air flow of the fan, should give a reasonable interior temperature.

DickinSD said:
And is the following notion as to how a refrigerator/freezer works correct:

Yes.

LINK > My frost free refrigerator is not cooling properly. What might be the problem?

DickinSD said:
Does the refrigerator side have any cooling mechanism of its own

No. Most frost-free refrigerators don't but some newer "dual evaporator" models do. I think it's over engineering and in most cases an added complexity that isn't needed..

JMO

Dan O.

DickinSD

Premium Member
Not ignoring you -- just want to give a couple thermometers in the freezer a good amount of time to stabilize.

DickinSD

Premium Member
OK -- bought two refrigerator/freezer thermometers -- played with combinations of top, center, and bottom locations in the freezer. Checked first thing in AMs. Specific results varied, but one thing was consistent: the temperatures were at or below zero in the center and bottom several days. This is with the freezer control set full-counterclockwise ("Warmer"). So -- after years of "normal" operation, I'm now seeing excessive cold in the freezer side, presumably (based on my understanding of how refrigerator/freezers work, thanks to you) leading to the colder-than-desired temperatures in the refrigerator side that started my investigation. The (retired) mechanical engineer in me tells me something has changed, as in no longer working properly. Thoughts?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
DickinSD said:
after years of "normal" operation, I'm now seeing excessive cold in the freezer side

If the freezer is consistently getting colder than normal the thermostat (aka 'cold control') may now be out of calibration from age and wear and tear. It's a very common component to fail. The thermostat would usually have to be replaced to correct the operation.

LINK > Whirlpool GD25DQXFW01 Thermostat

Dan O.

Last edited:

DickinSD

Premium Member
Based on the video in the link to the part, this appears to be the refrigerator controller. Based on my earlier question on how refrigerator/freezers work, and your response, I thought it was the freezer that generated the refrigerated air, which I presumed would be controlled by the freezer control knob, and then the temperature on the refrigerator side would be adjusted using the refrigerator control knob, which I presumed controlled operation of the damper in the vent. Not so, huh?

DickinSD

Premium Member
But I also see in the video the freezer control only adjusts the position of the damper, so see where the other control is the only "real" one. On my way to my local parts store!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
The thermostat controls the running of the compressor. It is the compressor that generates all the cooling. If it is running too much and resulting in too cold of temperatures, the thermostat is the likely the cause. Whether it acts upon the freezer or refrigerator air temperature shouldn't make a great deal of difference if both compartment temperatures are too cold.

If one compartment was too cold but the other not too cold, that might point to some other cause.

DickinSD said:
On my way to my local parts store!

I'd suggest you call first. I don't know how popular that thermostat is to be stocked locally. There have been hundreds of different thermostats used over the years.

JMO

Dan O.