Whirlpool GI15NDXTS1 not making ice (pump problem?)

Kyle Thweatt

Premium Member
Model Number
GI15NDXTS1
Brand
Whirlpool
Good afternoon, I was hoping to find help with my ice maker problem. I purchased a home roughly 7 months ago that has two of these ice makers (one inside the house and one outside near the pool area). The one in the house recently (this past week) stopped making any ice.

It still lights up and the control panel on the front works. It is still cold on the inside. I put some water in the water pan and started the clean cycle, but the water just sits in there so I am assuming it is the pump. Luckily I have the second unit in the garage (put up for winter) that I could try trading out parts.

Does anyone with more experience than me assume this is reasonable and if so, can help direct me to a video on how to swap it out? Thank you for all your help.

Kyle Thweatt

Premium Member
Whenever I first turn the ice machine on (after doing the cleaning cycle for instance). The water pan filled with water like normal and then after about 20-30 seconds a pump kicked on and emptied the water pan (I watched it pump the water down to the drain). Then it filled the water pan with water again and it sounds like the compressor kicks on, but the water just sits in the water pan.

Which pump would move the water from the water pan to the spot it is supposed to go to make ice? Any ideas how to get to it to replace it? I can switch it out with my other ice makers parts and then buy a new one.

Thank you.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Kyle,

wobiii helps us on these, he should be here shortly.

Jake

Kyle Thweatt

Premium Member
I went ahead and took it upon myself to try to fix it. I took the old recirculating pump out and I thought I found the culprit (the sensor that plugs in the middle had a wire that was sticking out). It was pretty nasty inside of there so I went ahead and cleaned everything as well.
icemaker1.JPG

After cleaning everything and hooking up the new pump it did the exact same thing (fills the water pan, but the recirculating pump never comes on). After some further inspection the place for the recirculating pump to actually plug into looks like this:
icemaker2.JPG

As you can see it looks as if the bottom pin has eroded away completely which I am assuming is causing my problem. I'm not sure what this wiring assembly is called or how I would manage to replace it. Can anyone lend me some further help in what this is called and how I may change it out? It is located right above the recirculating pump. Is it something I can basically cut the end off of and attach a new connector to? Would lowes have something like this? My home repair skills have been minimal thus far, but I'm willing to try new stuff to get this fixed. Thanks in advance.

wobiii

Appliance Tech
When I run into these I change the pump assembly (the pump and water level sensor) and the wiring harness, then fill the connections with dielectric grease to keep it from happening again. Both the top and bottom harness plugs tend to corrode and I've even had to splice the connector near the compressor because it was so bad.

You can try to splice the wiring to the pump, and cut the plug off of the water level sensor and see if it works as a down and dirty "duct tape fix". I'd recommend replacing the pump assembly and harness though. It's a bit of a job because you have to pull the unit, remove the back and top and move the evaporator to get the new one in.

If you're good with splicing then splice the wires. If not then you may want to call someone familiar with the problem. Make sure they know what they're getting into though. If you want to pm me with where you are located I may know someone I can recommend. I've got friends around the county. I don't consider this a diy job.

Kyle Thweatt

Premium Member
Thank you for the tips wobiii. I'm not quite sure how to PM via these forums, but I live in Paducah, KY which is the western part of the state. If you recommend anyone that can work on this I would be most appreciative.

I certainly agree that I need to replace the pump assembly and currently have the one from my other unit in there as I was using it to hopefully fix the problem. Once I get this all straightened out I will buy another one.

As far as the duct tape fix (to hopefully get this working for now) can I cut the end off of the harness assembly that is corroded and attach a new plug to hopefully fix it since I have the new pump assembly in it? Are these plugs located at a normal hardware store? I've never really spliced anything, but if it is just cutting an end of a plug and adding a new one I could probably get it done.

I'm assuming you meant for me to splice the messed up pump assembly (the one with the missing water sensor wire and corroded recirculator pump plug in) with the wiring harness. That's certainly something I've never done. I'd be willing to try it, but I would probably need some additional help/guidance to do it.

Thanks for your help; I look forward to hearing if anyone in the area works on these things.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

wobiii

Appliance Tech
It's tough to work in there if you're not familiar with splicing wires. I'd suggest ordering parts and changing them and be done with it. Then the only connection is the one at the bottom by the compressor that you have to worry about and I've only had to splice a couple of those in because they were bad. Usually they are ok though. It's parts #8 and #9 on the link posted.

Kyle Thweatt

Premium Member
Thank you wobiii for all of the help. I really appreciate it. I certainly don't mind changing the parts, but the wiring harness (#8) in the diagram is that something tough to change out? The pump assembly wasn't too bad to change out, but looking at the harness from the inside of my ice maker it isn't something easily gotten to.

Do you have any tips/tricks on changing it out? I'm not even sure how to get to where it leads. Do I have to remove the top or back of the unit to get to connections? If it is something difficult to do what would you consider a reasonable charge for someone to switch it out?