• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool GI7FVCXWQ01 refrigerator dripping from water dispenser

tbrown

Model Number
GI7FVCXWQ01
Brand
Whirlpool
Recently began dripping from water dispenser after filling a cup with water. Then after a time water would drip/run out of the water dispenser immediately after the ice maker fill cycle. I learned there are two water input valves: the main one at the back of the fridge and a secondary one in the front of the fridge above the water filter. Since the problem is affecting both the ice maker and the water dispenser, would the problem most likely be with the secondary valve, as it appears to feed both?

The ice maker still functions properly making ice and dispensing it and we can get water from the dispenser–just the dripping (we've been keeping a cup under the water dispenser to catch the drips.) The water leaking eventually stops each time. Im not sure if this could be a factor, but we haven't changed the water filter for years, as our tap water is just fine.

(I've read that I should probably installed a bypass plug instead,) Water flow hasn't seemed to have been affected. Please advise if this description suggests an obvious failure or if you need more information. Thank you!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member