• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Gold Fridge keeps switching to defrost cycle

TheDroid123

Model Number
GD5PHAXMS10
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello,

My first post here. This site helped me fix my whirlpool dishwasher about a year ago and now the Whirlpool fridge is going bad.

I believe my Whirlpool Gold SidebySide Fridge keeps switching to defrost. I come home from work and go to get ice and a small amount of water comes out. I check the freezer and it indeed has been off causing the ice to begin to melt. To fix it temporarily I open the fridge door and turn the fridge knob to "Off" and then turn it back on and the compressor/fan come back on adn cool the fridge for a few hours. I tried cleaning out underneath the fridge to ensure no coils underneath were covered in dust, but it still continues to switch to defrost. Could this be a bad thermostat? What else should I check?

Thank you for the help.

Scott

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Scott,

Yes, it sounds like your cold control thermostat is starting to wear out. A simple test would be when you notice melting occurring tap on your cold control knob with the handle end of any screwdriver you have, and if you hear your refrigerator start up and start running, then that's the problem.

Unplug your refrigerator first before replacing it.

Here's the cold control thermostat for your model you can order(Video Included):
Whirlpool 2198202 Cold Control - AppliancePartsPros.com

Jake