• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool Gold GI5FVAXVL01 Ice Maker not working, Fresh food freezing.

jquick08

Premium Member
Model Number
GI5FVAXVL01
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello, I've read most threads on different models with same problems but haven't found one with my model.
Model # GIFVAXVL01

These problems started a few weeks ago. Ice maker stopped making ice and items in the Fridge are freezing. I have tried replacing Fridge thermistor with no change. Thought about it and was thinking the Ice Maker thermistor may be bad which may be causing too much cold air to be pumped into ice maker compartment.

Now, the new problem, removed ice maker to test thermistor. No resistance in it but also no resistance found in old fridge thermistor or the new one I installed. Suspecting I need a different DVOM. After reinstalling ice maker and plugging Fridge back into wall, the front panel display will not light up unless pushing a button, then all buttons light up and 888 is displayed. Found thread for checking program code but I am unable to get it in to Program Mode. Have tried numerous times and also unplugging for 30 minutes or more.

I have measured the main control panel voltages, J1 pins 4 & 8, have 110 volts. Measured J6 pins 1 & 2, have 11.9 volts. Also measured 11.9 volts at the top left hinge and on the back of the front control panel.

Thinking the main board went out while I was doing the ice maker thing, but Im at a loss on what to do next.

Any help very appreciated

Thanks,
Jon

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Jon,

Put a freezer thermometer in the ice maker compartment and see it reads in 1 hour, it has to be 10 degrees or lower at all times to make ice.

Yes, the problem is the main control board in the back of your refrigerator.

Look here:

Here's the main control board for your model you can order:
WPW10310240 High Voltage Control Board

Its less expensive here, you get $60 cash back on your credit card when you return the old one:
Main Control Board WPW10310240

Jake

jquick08

Premium Member
Thanks for your input on the main board. Its ordered, Ill update later. As far as the ice maker, not sure of the temp it was but it was very cold. Im suspecting ice maker thermistor for the fresh food freezing and no ice due to board not knowing the actual temp of compartment. Have you seen this condition before? The fan is constantly running in the ice maker compartment likes its trying to cool it down more.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Im suspecting ice maker thermistor for the fresh food freezing and no ice due to board not knowing the actual temp of compartment. Have you seen this condition before?
Not sure I can say I have as of yet. I've ordered and replaced many main control boards to fix the front display issue.

I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below so you can TEST all the thermistors.:)

Service Test – 141 Fresh Food Thermistor--->Will Show Fresh Food Temperature or OP for open thermistor or SH for shorted thermistor.
Service Test – 142 Freezer Thermistor--->Will Show Freezer Temperature or OP for open thermistor or SH for shorted thermistor.
Service Test – 144 Ambient Thermistor--->Will Show Ambient Temperature or, OP open thermistor or SH shorted thermistor.
Service Test – 145 Ice Box Thermistor--->Will Show Ice Box Temperature or, OP open thermistor or SH shorted thermistor.

Jake

Attachments

• Tech Sheet - W10308615.pdf
    837.7 KB · Views: 18

jquick08

Premium Member
Thanks Jake! Maybe this control board is the source of all my problems, fingers crossed. Thanks for the tech sheet, been looking everywhere for it. Found where it was taped to the bottom of the fridge at one point. The resistance specs explain my problem because I was using a smaller Fluke with a 4k ohm max. I'll update again in a couple days when I get this new board in.

Thanks again!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Jon, sounds good, yes let us know.:)

Jake

jquick08

Premium Member
Hey Jake, new main board fixed the operation of the fridge/freezer. Went into programming mode and we're back to cooling. However ice maker is still not producing ice. Service test of ice maker thermistor shows 4 degrees but with thermometer in there for a few hours its showing 20 degrees. Fresh food compartment is not freezing food/milk yet. Would really love to get this ice maker working but not sure where to go from here. Dont know if its something to do with the ice maker assembly or the way it cools down. Service test 192 - ice maker state, shows OnH.

Thanks for your time Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
new main board fixed the operation of the fridge/freezer. Went into programming mode and we're back to cooling.
Excellent, glad to hear the new main board fixed it.(y)

However ice maker is still not producing ice.
Service test 192 - ice maker state, shows OnH.
--->Display shows OnH if icemaker power switch is in the on position and harvest heater is on and door closed.

Give it 24 to 48 hours for the ice maker to get back to normal.

Jake