• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Gold Leaking

bluedevil48

Model Number
GX2FHDXVY06
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a Whirlpool Gold French Door Refridgerator Bottom Freezer that is leaking a puddle of water on the right side in the front in the flloor every other day or so. There is also a sheet of ice in the bottom of the freezer. The door seal seems to be OK. I have checked the water connection for the ice maker in the back and everything is dry and seure there. I have seen several posts about a similar issue on here but none with the same model# as the one I have. I don't know how much difference there is between model numbers.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, sounds like your defrost drain hole/line is clogged up.

Here's the freezer section parts diagram for your model: Freezer Liner Parts for Whirlpool GX2FHDXVY06

You will need to remove everything from the freezer including the shelves and ice maker, then remove the back panel#11. The air vent #22 should have 2 clips on both sides of it that you would need to unsnap with a flathead screwdriver first before removing the back panel.

Then the defrost drain hole is located underneath the evaporator coils, clear all the ice in your drain trough and drain hole with a hair dryer and hot water, then run something down the drain hole, then run a little bleach down it.

I use a evaporator cooler spider snake to run down that defrost drain hole: http://www.azpartsmaster.com/Products/Cooler-Spider-Snake__CLR4690.aspx

They are used basically in Arizona to clean out the water pump tubes that run to the cooler pads.

I don't know if they would sell them in your area, but if you go to your local hardware store, they should have something similar to run down your drain to clean it completely out.

Jake