Whirlpool Gold Refrigerator Freezer GX5SHDXVB01 Fridge Warm - Freezer Cold Problems

davvet2

Model Number
GX5SHDXVB01
Brand
Maytag
Like others here, I am having problems with my refrigerator getting warm while the freezer is cold. I contacted a repair service here, and they first diagnosed that the damper control was defective. After a week to get the part, they installed it and everything was OK for about a month. Refrigerator started getting warm again and they said I had a bad Jazz board. It had to be ordered, and after another week it was installed and worked OK for about a month. They came back out again, and said the Jazz board was defective, but they had a used one and installed it. (Every time they came out it cost me money). That board lasted 2 months and the frost on the back freezer wall came back and the refrigerator stopped cooling. (freezer was fine). The last time they came out they said I needed to order a freezer door gasket and I could install it myself, which I did.
While I was at it, I super cleaned the condenser coils.

Now, the ice is coming back on the rear of the freezer walls, and the repair service won't come back. I have spent nearly $900.00 in the last 8 months on this unit, plus the aggravation of dealing with a warm refrigerator and keeping our food in a cooler. The tech said if it happened again, I should remove all the food and unplug so it would thaw out -- then replace the food until it happened again.

In summary, I have had the WPW 10196393 damper control assembly replaced, WPW 10503278 refrigerator electronic "Jazz" board replaced, (twice) and I replaced W10436252 freezer door gasket and am still having the same problem. The condenser coils are clean.

There's got to be a way to fix this problem. The repair service has taken my money and given up on fixing it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim Coleman

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Jim,

They never ohm tested the defrost thermostat or defrost heater? A reputable company always uses a multimeter to ohm test parts first before ordering parts.

Do you want me to show you how to do it? You will need a multimeter, do you have one?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Also GX5S14DXVB01 is not pulling up as good, please recheck it.

Jake

davvet2

Jake,

I rechecked the number: it's GX5SHDXVB01 -- looks like I couldn't read my own handwriting. They never checked anything with a multimeter that I'm aware of, just checked a database on their phone. I do have a multimeter and would appreciate you showing me how to use it.

Thanks,

Jim

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Jim,

Lets ohm test the defrost thermostat first. When you click the link to your defrost thermostat below, you will see a video of how to access it, the Jenn-Air in that video should be identical to yours, as Whirlpool owns Jenn-Air.

You would then need to ohm your defrost thermostat(WHILE ITS FROSTY) with your multimeter to check for continuity. Normal ohm reading will be 0 ohms. Make sure your Refrigerator stays unplug before testing it.

The defrost thermostat snaps on the top of your evaporator coil. Also if you notice a big bulge on it, then that's definitely the problem.

Here's the defrost thermostat for your model you can order if needed:
WP67003426 Defrost Thermostat

You can also ohm test it in a glass of ice water if it's NOT FROSTY, and wait at least 5 minutes before ohm testing it. Watch this video: Defrost Thermostat Ohm Testing Video

Some defrost thermostats have quick disconnects that just unsnap from the wiring harness and some don't, if your model doesn't then you will need to cut the wires to it (Unplug your refrigerator first!), but don't cut to close to the defrost thermostat itself as you will need to reconnect it back in place with 2 wire nuts, I use the orange colored wire nuts.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

davvet2

Jake,

Think I'll just order the defrost thermostat as it will take the same amount of work to test it as it will to replace it. Is the defrost heater the same part ?

If not what's involved to test it ?

Thanks,

Jim

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I just clicked that link on that HOW TO replace the defrost heater video and it opened fine for me Jim.

Lets see if this works:

Jake

davvet2

It works for me now. Ordered the thermistor since I'll already be there, eliminating another possible problem.

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Jim, let us know how it goes.

Jake

davvet2

Jake,

All parts installed last night. Toughest one was the defrost heater element, but I got it in.
The condenser was iced over solid, had to warm it up with a heat gun.

I checked all the parts and they did have continuity, so I don't really know what I accomplished here.

What would be the next step in the process? Also, I have the original Jazz board -- how do I check it and see if its good?

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Jim,

That's why I wanted you to ohm test those parts before you ordered them.:)

The only way to know if the JAZZ board is the problem is process of elimination, if both the defrost thermostat and defrost heater both ohm test good, then the only other part that would cause this problem is the JAZZ board.

Here's the JAZZ control board for your model you can order:
JAZZ Main Control Board WPW10503278

If that repair company you had come out was trying to rip you off by installing defective JAZZ boards you need to take them to small claims court and contact the Texas Attorney General's office to report them.

No legitimate repair company would ever charge you $900 and NOT reimburse you if they couldn't fix it!

Let us know.

Jake

davvet2

Jake,

I intend to do something about their repairs that didn't fix my Whirlpool, appliance repair companies are regulated by the
State of Texas, but wanted to get my refrigerator fixed first.

I took a chance on replacing the parts as it involved almost enough work to test them, and this way I knew the parts were new.

I may try reinstalling my original Jazz board and see what happens. I found the installation and programming video.

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Jim, yes try the original JAZZ board if you want.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

davvet2

Jake,

I will if I see frost evidence on the top of the freezer door or in back of the freezer.

It's been 24 hours and so far no frost.

Thanks,

Jim

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Jim, keep updating us.:)

Jake

davvet2

Jake,

I can see frost on the condenser thru the slots on the back wall, and a little on the top of the freezer door, but it's still cooling in the frig.

Thanks,

Jim

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The evaporator coil is in the freezer, the condenser coil is on the outside near the compressor, you got the two mixed up.:)

Normal frost pattern is a thin layer of frost on all the coils from top to bottom.

Look here:
Frost Patterns.jpg

Jake