• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Gold Refrigerator not maintaining temperature

cyph

Premium Member
Model Number
GS6SHEXML00
Brand
Whirlpool
My refrigerator has been showing signs over the last few days of not maintaining temperature properly as a couple of times we've opened the freezer to find things beginning to thaw, ice cream beginning to melt, and ice in the bucket melting.

I pulled the unit out from the wall, unplugged it, and cleaned the underside components thoroughly, including the condenser coils which were densely covered with dust. After plugging it back in, the compressor and its fan started up right away and it began to cool down at once.

It stopped again overnight, after some several hours, but again started with a simple power cycle in the morning. We've since had to power cycle it like this about 5 times, but after random intervals. Sometimes as little as a few hours, sometimes after several.

Using the service guide/wiring diagram, I ran the four available self-tests, but everything seemed to check out ok. The tests included a self-check of the RC Thermistor (system reports a 'P' status), energizing of defrost circuit (now measured 120V at same leads tested before), energizing of evaporator fan, and energizing of condenser/condenser fan.

I've also manually tested the cold control thermistor. The tech sheet indicates an expected reading of 2.7K @ 77F. It read 2.75K, so within 2% of this reading. It went to about 7.4K at 35F in a cup of cold water.

It also doesn't appear like it's a problem related to the defrost cycle since, when it is idle without the compressor running, there is no voltage present at the defrost circuit.

It simply seems like the refrigerator is not properly interpreting the temperature reading from the cold control and/or the user controls (dial with digital reaout) as they appear to have little bearing on the operation of the refrigerator (i.e. turning the refrigerator control to maximum does not start the refrigerator when it's stopped).

In fact, once when I was troubleshooting while the refrigerator had stopped running, I disconnected altogether the harness for the control housing that contains the thermistor, user controls, and refrigerator compartment light. Somewhat surprisingly, the refrigerator came on immediately. Is it possible there is a default cycle that engages in the absence of input from the controls/thermistor?

Any help on what to consider next would be appreciated. I suspect it's possible it's the main control board, but I'd like to make sure I'm not overlooking some other possible fault.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Yes, sounds like a control board problem.

Unplug your refrigerator first! Then pull your refrigerator out from the wall again and take off the lower back access panel and you will see the control box on the right side.

Its #18 here: Parts for Whirlpool GS6SHEXML00: Unit Parts

Inside inside the control box#19.

Then remove and check your control board for ANY burnt spots on it.

Here's the control board for your model:
Whirlpool W10135090 Electronic Control Board - AppliancePartsPros.com

Jake

cyph

Premium Member
Jake,

Thanks for the reply.

I came home to information from my wife that the refrigerator had been off for close to four hours. Curious about any relationship to the control circuit, I disconnected the user controls header on the mainboard and, again, the refrigerator started right up. So now the lights are on and the unit is running, the only thing inactive are the controls.

My obvious concern is whether the unit will cycle, or will it run continuously to the point of freezing the entire box or otherwise overdriving the cooling components. My brief experience while troubleshooting was that it *will* cycle, but I'll need to watch it a bit more.

I'd just like it to run like this until I have the chance to pull the board and inspect it.

Thanks again for the input.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, that's fine, but do check the control board for burnt spots on it, this has been a common issue for this problem your having.

Jake