• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Gold Series WRF736SDAM11 not defrosting

Jered

Model Number
WRF736SDAM11
Brand
Whirlpool
Whirlpool Gold Series French Door - WRF736SDAM11 purchased 2014

The freezer coils freeze up over 3-4 days. I have accessed the coils, defrosted with a hair dryer and restarted the unit, I noted the drain does not appear plugged and drains immediately to the tray under the unit. The freezer gets extremely cold, set at 0 a thermometer in the unit shows -20. When I place it in service mode with a thermometer in the unit showing -20 the defrost thermostat shows a code of 02 Bimetal open which would lead me to believe the thermostat is bad which I replaced. As such I can not use the service mode forced defrost to defrost the unit.

Repeated and the new thermostat shows 02 Bimetal open with the thermometer in the freezer at -20. I placed the new and old thermostats in my chest freezer, while doing so I disconnected the defrost heater and did a resistance test which showed 25 to 30 ohm, so the heater should be good. I removed the thermostats from the freezer and both had continuity, once they got to room temperature neither had continuity so they both test good. I resembled the unit and started it again. The freezer again gets very cold but I noted the fridge unit struggled to get below 40 on a thermometer in the unit, with temps ranging around 45 while set at 37.

I have a new unit arriving soon and am considering using this as a secondary garage unit but am unsure what the issue is or if it is worth attempting to fix and the only theory I currently have is that the board is bad. Any help is appreciated. Thank you,

** If I remove the Defrost Thermostat and pigtail the two wires leading to it service mode 06 Defrost Thermostat still shows 02 bimetal open.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Since the defrost thermostat and defrost heater ohm test good, then the only part left that controls the auto defrost is the control board.

Here's the control board for your model:
WPW10589838 Electronic Control Board

Its also here:

The new control board fixed these 2 members units, with this same problem yours is having:

Let us know how it goes, we love updates here.:)

Jake