Whirlpool Gold WRF991BOOM00 diagnostics, freezer started warming up

bigred76

Premium Member
Model Number
WRF991BOOM00
Brand
Whirlpool
Good day,

My freezer started warming up. Ice cream was soupy. I got under and found a large hairball across the front vent cover. I have removed and cleaned the coils. But the freezer still seems to be running hard and not cooling all the way. The Ice maker stopped working about the same time. I found a video online how to check the ice maker diagnostics and cycled through the harvest and it was fine.

I am wondering where I can find the diagnostic sheet with error codes that should have been with the fridge. They are not behind the front grill or the hinge cover on top. The fan over the drip plate is running fine.

I would like to see what is and not working to determine level of needs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks for reading.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
How long has it been since you cleaned the coils and checked the temperature? There's a lot of heat that builds up in the condensor when the coils are blocked. It takes about 24 hours for the temperatures to stabilize.

bigred76

Premium Member
I cleaned the coils Thursday night.
A lot of cat fur covering the front kick plate.
Must have been for a long time.
What could burn up after so long blocked?

Almost 2 days later
Fridge temp 32
Freezer temp 16

I have control panel set at 0 for freezer

bigred76

Premium Member
Thank you so much for the tech sheet!!!

Service test 4. Compressor/Condenser fan motor/ evaporator fan
step 04 compressor on. turn on RC fan: there was weird noise, little rattling like something was trying to turn but couldn't make it. not loud. behind freezer back wall.

Service test 5. Compressor status speed.
When it goes to max speed, it seems to wobble a little. Sounds like it revs a little higher and lower. But code 01 shows saying max speed reached.

Service test 56. Ice maker error codes.
E5 error Timed ice making.

Service test 58. Ice maker heater activation and Thermistor.
10 and 00. Temperature warmer than harvest temperature.

rickgburton

Staff member
Look on the back wall of the freezer section and see if there is any frost build-up. Make sure the freezer evaporator fan is working and make sure the condensor fan is working. Is the compressor running hot or warm?

bigred76

Premium Member
I defrosted it Thursday night thinking the fan was frozen. There wasn't any visible frost but I unplugged the fridge for 45 minutes and used a hair dryer in the freezer section. small drips coming out the drain tube nothing significant. Condensor fan seemed to be working fine. No hang ups and free flowing. I will remove the back panel from freezer compartment and check the evaporator fan.

Thanks for the quick responses!!

rickgburton

Staff member
There wasn't any visible frost but I unplugged the fridge for 45 minutes and used a hair dryer in the freezer section.
If there was a defrost problem, 45 minutes unplugged and a hair dryer would do very little to defrost it. You'll need to remove the cover and check the coils.

bigred76

Premium Member
Boy I didnt realize how long ago this started. Been using my chest freezer.

Freezer still not freezing. Pulled off back panel and used a hair dryer to melt the giant ice ball around the bi metal thermostat. Condenser coils have been cleaned. Evaporator defrosted. evaporator fan still working. Condenser warm and vibrating. Condenser fan running. Not sure where to go from here. Would a bad bi metal thermostat allow the fridge to cool but not enough for the freezer?

So again the fridge works fine. But the freezer will not freeze.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bigred76

Premium Member
Correction the condenser really hot. Can only touch for a few seconds before feeling like I’d get burned.

rickgburton

Staff member
bigred76 said:
....giant ice ball around the bi metal thermostat
There's the problem. You have a sealed system issue. It could be a refrigerant leak, system restriction or even a bad compressor. Sounds like a bad compressor if it is running extremely hot. Sealed system repairs are expensive and will often exceed the machines value.

Check your warranty. Some machines have a 5 year warranty on the sealed system.