• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool GR2FHTXTB00 ice maker leaks throughout fridge when making ice

gabby

Premium Member
Model Number
GR2FHTXTB00
Brand
Whirlpool
When the icemaker arm is up (off), nothing leaks. When the arm is down (on), there are leaks.

The leak happen in the bottom FRIDGE area, not just the top Freezer area. In the fridge section, there are two openings on the ceiling of the fridge section and water drips down from those openings and cause a huge wet mess all over the fridge. Water does also leak in the freezer area too, with water basically being all over the floor of the freezer (then turns to ice naturally).

IMPORTANT (or maybe not). Before I go to turn the ice on, it sometimes feels like ice is built up in the little entry way of the water (before it gets to the ice tray) if I stick my finger in there (yellow arrow in my photo points to that area). I'll flick that to try and get the ice out and then if I run a hair dryer for about 10 minutes pointing at that little water entry area, that seems to TEMPORARILY solve the problem and lets us make a batch of ice with no leaks. But the other day, we took our chances and didn't do anything prior to turning the ice machine back on, and it caused the huge mess again. In other words, if we don't hair dry the area by the water inlet, there will be leaks.

I'm no expert, but I assume this means maybe there is ice building up maybe behind the back wall of the fridge and causing the water to go everywhere (since it's dripping through the openings at the top of the fridge section), but i really don't know.

I am planning to call a fridge repair guy but wanted to get thoughts here first in case someone knows what the issue is and I can potentially fix the problem myself. I'm not too hopeful because the problem seems to be in the hidden parts of the fridge so it might not be something more complicated that I can't handle, but giving it a shot on here anyway. We are moving in a month and I don't want to leave this problem with the new owners, but I also don't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money fixing it either :)

If it's not something I should do myself, any idea what the cost of repair should be, approximately (assuming I gave enough info)?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

It sounds like you possibly have a bad water inlet valve that's NOT closing all the way, that happens over time as they wear, then wear out and start leaking where that fill tube comes into the fill cup.

Here's the inlet water valve for your model:
WP2188808 Valve-Inlt

Jake

gabby

Premium Member
Thank you very much. Do you think a DIYer could check that valve to try and confirm it's not closing before I order the new part? Would I have to take apart the back of the fridge to see it? Or do you think that's not necessary and it's really the only plausible explanation?

And if I do end up getting the replacement part, do you also think a semi-handy person could replace it themselves?

gabby

Premium Member
Just to follow up, I took a video showing when the water turns on and goes everywhere. Not sure if this will help pinpoint the issue or not but figured it was worth sharing. It seems like plenty of water gets to the tray but either is too much water at once, or it’s just not getting into the tray for some reason.

Could you please watch the video (i put it on YouTube) and let me know know if your opinion changes any?

Whirlpool ice maker leak

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I saw the video, that's a new issue I haven't seen before. Its best to have the tech. come out, I don't think its the water inlet valve that's causing it now that I saw the video.

Seems like the ice maker fill tube maybe cracked or broken causing the water to flow down to your refrigerator section when the ice maker is filling. You may have a clogged defrost drain line as well.

Jake

gabby

Premium Member
So I took the ice maker out and there was ice completely blocking the bottom of the receptacle that the water drains into. In other words, water couldn't get into the tray at all. As it flowed in (per the video I attached earlier) it hit the ice and backed up into the opening where the water tube came in.

This explains why when I would use a hair dryer, the ice would start getting made properly (bc I melted some if not all of the ice blockage).

I completely melted the ice blockage and put the maker back and it's been making ice since this morning with no problems. The water flows in fine and fills the tray. My worry is that over time, the ice will build up again in the receptacle (not sure how but it obviously did it before so something must be causing it), and if so, not sure how to stop that aside from using a hair dryer every once in a while, which is incredibly inconvenient. Time will tell.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, that's what I was thinking per my post#2, when that water inlet valve starts wearing out, it may not close completely every time after it fills the ice maker, thus you get a small amount of water that freezes in the ice maker cup where the fill tube comes in.

That video threw me off because I saw the water coming down into the refrigerator section, and it should be going down your drain hole that's located underneath the evaporator coil in your freezer.

Jake

gabby

Premium Member
Gotcha. I definitely noticed that after a few cycles of making ice, a little droplet of water (maybe the size of a pea) is sitting in the very end of the fill tube. So I imagine when more water flows in, that eventually gets knocked off into the cup and eventually clogs its. Is it correct that there should be absolutely zero water sitting on the end of the fill tube? If so, do you think replacing the water inlet valve is the likely solution here?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Correct, but lets check your fill tube first.

Does your fill tube have the silt on the top portion of it? if not then that's likely the cause, they upgraded these since you bought your refrigerator 12 years ago.

Here's the upgraded one for your model you can order here:
WP2196157 Icemaker Fill Tube Fitting

Jake

gabby

Premium Member
Hi,
By the slit on the top, you just mean it's not a fully enclosed tube right? Below is a crappy pic of my tube that isn't fully enclosed, so I think that i have the proper tube, correct?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that's fine. Your good there.

So yes, it would be just the water inlet valve that you'd need to fix it.

Jake

gabby

Premium Member
Yes, that's fine. Your good there.

So yes, it would be just the water inlet valve that you'd need to fix it.

Jake
Thanks. I read that oil can build up on the fill tube and cause water droplets to stay there. So I washed it thoroughly and put it all back and after first fill, a few drops stayed on the end of the fill tube. SO FRUSTRATING. Dumb question, but why would a bad inlet valve prevent water drops from staying on the fill tube? I watched the water come in and it rushes in and immediately after the flow of water stops, the droplets appear on the end of the full tube. So it seems to me the inlet valve is stopping the flow of water immediately, but those damn drops just aren't falling off the end of the fill tube. Then they freeze and it happens every cycle so it keeps building up to be bigger. Such a crazy little issue haha

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You may see a couple tiny water droplets at the end of the fill tube, but it shouldn't start building up there or in the ice maker fill cup.

Jake