• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool GR2SHTXKQ00 not cooling, ticking

microwiz

Premium Member
Hello all. Just found this forum and have been browsing the posts - from searches and previous links, it seems to me that our Whirlpool's refrig/freezer compressor relay has gone bad. The symptoms are clear - warm air blowing from the fans and an infrequent but regular loud "tick" noise. We also didn't realize that our rather sheddy cats' hair has probably been getting underneath and probably is the cause of the failure.

Unfortunately we discovered it late Friday night, so I don't expect I can get service for it before Monday. Does anyone have a service manual for this unit, and/or can tell me where to find that relay that needs to be replaced? (Both where on the unit to find it, and where I might be able to buy the part.) I'd love to be able to fix this myself if possible - it would be cheaper and probably a heck of a lot sooner than a repairman could see to it.

Thanks!

microwiz

Premium Member
Sorry to self-follow-up...

Just wanted to add that I have unplugged the unit, in case the compressor is short-cycling and might be damaged. (Hopefully it's not damaged already!)

Any input anyone can give will be much appreciated. Thanks!

microwiz

Premium Member
Wow, that looks great! I have the fridge pulled out already. Tomorrow I'll see if I can't locate either the factory relay or one of those 3n1 ("universal"?) relays.

Too bad about all the food we've got to toss out :( And I hope the compressor is still OK!

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Go for the original style relay/overload.

Many are now frowning on the 3-1 relays used on the newer compressors ( older ones are fine ) and have heard of a few compressors being damaged from the 3-1's.

JMO!

jeff.

ApplianceJunk

Appliance Tech
jeff1 said:
Hi,

Go for the original style relay/overload.

Many are now frowning on the 3-1 relays used on the newer compressors ( older ones are fine ) and have heard of a few compressors being damaged from the 3-1's.

JMO!

jeff.

I have heard this before, but I have never had any trouble with them, yet. ;)

I don't understand why there is so much trouble with the new ones. It seems like I change a lot of factory start relays that are only 2-4 years old and many of the refrigerators that they go out on are not even dirty.

Does anyone know if they made any changes on the factory replacement start relays?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I don't know if they made any changes to the factory start devices, but in the last 5 years, i have seen those fail even when the condenser wasn't too bad like you said, I change about 20-50 a year. I always use this kit:

Compressor relay & overload assembly

I just cut that red wire at the rounded terminal end to wire nut it to the small white wire that goes to the relay, after i cut off that small terminal end on it.

Never had a call back, Knock on Wood!:D

Jake

jq22

Premium Member
If the compressor is hot...

If the compressor is warm/hot, could it still be the relay or is it more likely the compressor windings?

I have a 5 year old, low-end Whirlpool; internal fan runs, temp control seems ok, compressor is hot, condensor clean and cool, fridge & freezer are warm.

Thanks, John

jq22

Premium Member
thanks for the quick reply

I'll get out the testing equipment - if it was certainly the compressor, I'd call in a professional.

Thanks!

John