Whirlpool GSQ9669LW0 (ser CP0412236) makes clickiing/banging noise during spin

fringus

Premium Member
Model Number
GSQ9669LW0
Brand
Whirlpool
I just noticed that our washer is making a fairly loud steady clunking noise during the spin cycle. I don't think it has been a gradual buildup of noise, rather a pretty sudden onset. It is in the garage and we aren't usually in there during a spin cycle, but my wife says she would have heard it through the wall that connects to our living room. I happened to be washing some work clothes, rags, gloves, etc. & I was in the garage working when I first heard it. I ran them through fill-agitate-drain a few times in a row until the water was stayed clear-ish with agitation.

After agitation, the washer will spin during the the drain & build up to a pretty fast speed without making the noise at all. Then it stops for a few seconds & moves to the spin cycle, and at that time the noise begins. The noise is steady -- it starts immediately when the spin cycle kicks in & keeps the same steady rhythm as the washer spins up. It also works up to a higher speed spin the first time (draining) when not making the noise compared to when making the noise during the spin cycle; I have no idea if that speed difference of the two cycles is normal or not -- I would have assumed it to be the opposite, so I thought it might be relevant to the noise issue.

The symptom of noise is very consistent -- always occurs immediately when turning the dial to spin cycle for any of the programs. Even when empty of clothes and/or water. And the spin during drain is always relatively quiet.

I haven't started to disassemble it all, because I have never messed with a washer before. I'm not afraid to though -- just didn't want to screw anything up before getting an idea of what the issue is. I can post a video of it if that would help ( at least I assume I can do that on this forum). Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Here's the parts diagram for your model: Whirlpool Washer GSQ9669LW0 Repair Parts

I can post a video of it if that would help
Yes, you can upload the video to Youtube and post the Youtube link here. Or share your video per Google Drive, Dropbox, or Microsoft OneDrive and post the share link here.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I heard it.

Unplug your washer from the wall outlet and check for a broken blue/orange wire at the motor connector. If it's not broken loose, unplug the wire harness connector to the motor start switch and check the terminal for corrosion/burning.

Sounds like the motor is cutting on/off because power is not getting back up to the speed switch after the motor starts. This could be a faulty connection at the blue/orange wire or the motor switch is faulty. The switch can be replaced vs replacing the whole motor.

Drain mode bypasses the motor switch and uses speed select switch. Apparently, your washer is not neutral draining. It's draining/spinning for 2 minutes without the clicking because during that time period, the motor switch and user speed control is bypassed.

Take the cabinet off the machine so you can access the motor parts easier.

To remove the cabinet watch this video here: Whirlpool/Kenmore Top-Load Direct Drive Washer Disassembly Video

Here's the motor switch for your model:
Motor Start Switch

Jake

fringus

Premium Member
Thanks Jake - great info. I hope to open it up and check on the wiring tonight. Then order the switch if its indicated. When looking for a broken blue/orange wire, am I looking just in the area near where it connects to the switch?

I've been searching on neutral drains to figure out what that is all about. Seems my washer is supposed to neutral drain, but is not doing so properly. Is the only fix for that replacing the neutral drain transmission?... Or do I need to do some trouble-shooting first to rule out other possible failures? Alternately, what are the implications of not fixing that & just letting it drain as-is? Does this lead to a non-operational failure soon?

Debating whether to just fix the spin/switch issue vs fixing both: just the switch may be worth it, but fixing both may not be -- and the switch may not be worth it if the neutral drain issue indicates another imminent failure. I'm guessing the washer is about 14 yo already.

Thanks again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
When looking for a broken blue/orange wire, am I looking just in the area near where it connects to the switch?
Yes, and follow it upwards from the motor connector to see if its broken.

Seems my washer is supposed to neutral drain, but is not doing so properly. Is the only fix for that replacing the neutral drain transmission?...
It should drain without spinning at all. The gearcase has a neutral drain mechanism that prevents spinning during drain. After drain, the motor should pause for a few seconds which allows the neutral drain to release. When the motor starts again, then it should spin.

A new neutral drain kit Part# 388253A is the cheaper cost, but very messy as you have to take the gearcase apart to change it.

This video shows you how:

[video=youtube_share;5aoFwzUgrIU]https://youtu.be/5aoFwzUgrIU[/video]

Jake

fringus

Premium Member
Well, I checked that blue/orange wire several times from bottom to top and couldn't see any problems with it. Neither of the connectors looked burnt out. So I replaced the motor switch... And it still has the same problem.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, Try taking the motor off(take pump off too), and lay the motor on the floor, but still connected to the electrical, then start a small load with no clothes in it and see if the motor does that, just running the motor by-itself.

You will need to by-pass the lid switch first.

Jeff has a page that shows you how to do that here: Bypass Direct drive washer lid switch from consol plug

Jake

fringus

Premium Member
Ok, I did that and I think it is still doing it. But the exact sound and pattern of the clicking is different... Not as loud and not as rapid. I'll try to upload a video.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, good video!

Use your meter to check for 120 VAC across the blue wire and white wire on the motor switch. If the voltage is less than 110 Volts AC or if it jumps around, replace the timer.

If the voltage is a constant 120 VAC, here's how to check the motor windings. Your motor is a two speed motor:
(click to enlarge)
Direct Drive Motors.jpg

Here's the motor for your model:
WP8529935 Motor-Drve

Here's the timer for your model:
WP3955765 Timer

Jake

fringus

Premium Member
Hi Jake, that's for the help on this. Given that I was looking at either replacing the motor or the timer, along with soon needing to replace or fix the neutral drain, I decided to get a new washer. The cost to fix was getting too close to the cost for a replacement. I'm glad to have investigated the repairs though, and sincerely appreciate the advice. Cheers.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I decided to get a new washer. The cost to fix was getting too close to the cost for a replacement.
Yes fringus, I agree.:)

Per your serial number, Your washer was made in January of 2003, you got a good life out of it for 16 years.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake