Whirlpool GX5SHDXVB00 refrigerator not cooling. at all

gregeddins

Premium Member
Model Number
GX5SHDXVB00
Brand
Whirlpool
French door model with the freezer on the bottom. Freezer items started showing some frost the other day, I cleaned the gaskets, and it seemed to do better for a day or so. Last night, I noticed ice melting in the tray (icemaker not plumbed, but we use the tray to hold ice), so I checked the temp and it was in the high 30s. Took everything out and transferred it to the deep freeze. This morning, noticed it seemed pretty warm in the fridge section. Went to church and came back about 2.5hrs later to find it was really warming up.

did some searching on troubleshooting and checked the coils under the fridge...very dirty. cleaned them up, took the back panel out and cleaned that out. Plugged it back in, and now the compressor seems to kick on for about 10 seconds then clicks off. I've never noticed if it runs longer that (or should).

Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated.

Greg

gregeddins

Premium Member
After doing some further research, and thinking about this, I am wondering if it's the capacitor? The condenser is doing pretty much the same thing my HVAC unit did last summer...and it was a capacitor. Should I also replace the start relay as well?

Thanks in advance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Greg,

I'd first check the compressor start relay. The capacitor wouldn't be the problem as its just a run capacitor, not a start capacitor.:)

Here is the guide with photos of how to access/replace it: FIXED How to replace a - Whirlpool/Kenmore Model 106 - Refrigerator Start Relay

Make sure your refrigerator is unplugged from the wall before removing it, after you remove it shake it, if it rattles inside its bad.

If it doesn't rattle, then you use a multimeter to ohm test it for continuity, normal would be 0-12 ohms.

See the photo below of it? You put your 2 meter probes in both parallel holes at the same time and see what your meter reads. Keep the refrigerator unplugged when ohm testing it.:)

Here's the compressor start relay device for your model you can order if needed:
Start Device WPW10197428

Jake

gregeddins

Premium Member
Hi Jake,
Thanks for the reply. So it seems to be in the "normal" range as you mentioned. I measured it several times never got the same results, but they were all less than 12. And it isn't rattling at all. So it seems that if it's not the start relay, and we KNOW it's not the capacitor :) ...I'm afraid you're going to tell me it's probably the condenser itself. Which I imagine is going to mean a significant amount of money I don't want to spend on a fridge this old. I went ahead this morning and ordered both parts from the APP site, but it looks like I may just want to turn 'em around when they get here tomorrow.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm afraid you're going to tell me it's probably the condenser itself.
I think you meant compressor.:)

Yes, then that means your compressor has gone bad.

Time to go refrigerator shopping.:)

Jake