• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool Icemaker leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help.:)

Jake

ghengishahn

Premium Member
I have a Whirlpool Gold SxS refrigerator with icemaker that dump cubes forward into the bucket on the door. My original icemaker failed about a week ago and I replaced it with a used unit from a friend that is an appliance engineer.

From all appearances the icemaker is the same except the discharge arm has shorten tentacles. The icemaker leaks of course. I removed the icemaker but the mold body was NOT overfilled. Actually the cubes will be smaller than my old icemaker. It is almost as if the water getting outside the mold body during fill. Maybe splashing. Any ideas what it could be.

Also I replaced water fill valve about a year ago. Thanks

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
After the ice maker stops, what position are the fingers in? I'm not following you when you say discharge arm and tentacles. Are you refering to those white plastic fingers that push the cubes out ? Most of those Whirlpoo style ice makers that sit inside the freezer on the side wall, can't be used in place of the style you have. Did the used one have a white cover over the power module?l

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, on the indoor ice maker models you should not have a arm, so I'm confused by that as well.

Post your model# so we can see what part# your original ice maker is and compare the two.

Click here to locate your model#.

Jake

ghengishahn

Premium Member
After the ice maker stops, what position are the fingers in?

I'll have to check when I get home tonight.

I'm not following you when you say discharge arm and tentacles. Are you refering to those white plastic fingers that push the cubes out ?

Yes that is what I am talking about.

Most of those Whirlpoo style ice makers that sit inside the freezer on the side wall, can't be used in place of the style you have. Did the used one have a white cover over the power module?l

Yes the icemaker has the white cover over the power module. The icemaker provided was provided by a Whirlpool refrigeration engineer. He worked it off my model number before sending it to me. I am pretty sure it is a correct replacement part. It looks like the identical unit except the fingers (your description above) are a bit shorter.

ghengishahn

Premium Member
Yes, on the indoor ice maker models you should not have a arm, so I'm confused by that as well.

Post your model# so we can see what part# your original ice maker is and compare the two.

Click here to locate your model#.

Jake

It does not have an arm that senses ice cube level. The arm is the discharge arm that pushes out the cube. Sorry I did not see your note until this morning so I don't have the model number. I can get tonight.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, we will definitely need the model# of your refrigerator.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

ghengishahn

Premium Member
Thanks Jake for continuing to work with me. Yes the icemaker looks exactly like the one below except of course mine has a cover over the left end. I will have to remove the icemake to read the manufacturer number. I will do that yet today.

For what it is worth, I learned there is an adjustment to reducing the fill to make smaller cubes. I did adjust that and am making smaller cubes but still have a leaking condition.

Here's the ice maker for your model:
Icemaker assembly, For In-Door Ice models.
Manufacturer's Part#: 2198597

Does the replacement ice maker look like this? And is there a part# on it?

Jake

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It sounds like the used replacement ice maker has a crack in the tray, or the fill tube isn't lining up properly with the fill cup.

Jake

ghengishahn

Premium Member
The fill cup is fine. The suggestion about the crack in the tray (mold body) was a good thought. So I decided to disassemble the mold body from the leaking I/M and swap it with the other OEM I/M with the broken motor. While I did not find a crack, but I did find something interesting. It appears the mold body from the leaking I/M is smaller...that is less volume than the OEM I/M. Perhaps excessive fill. Anyway I have the hybrid parts I/M back in the freezer to see what happens.

I got so excited I forgot to record the model number. If I can figure out how, I will post a picture.

ghengishahn

Premium Member
Icemaker 004.jpg Icemaker 002.jpg

In one picture you can see the model of the I/M.

The other picture as the two mold body side x side. The body on the right is from the leaking I/M. The one on the left is from the OEM I/M.

Will let you know how this turns out when it starts to make ice.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
That's the reason they can't be swaped. I don't think it will make any ice but here's some good luck to you.

ghengishahn

Premium Member
Jake how come when I go to repairclinic.com and search by my model, Repair Clinic does not even show a complete icemaker available. My scare is this one won't work any better than the one I have that looks very similar.

Here's the ice maker for your model:
Icemaker assembly, For In-Door Ice models.
Manufacturer's Part#: 2198597

Does the replacement ice maker look like this? And is there a part# on it?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Jake how come when I go to repairclinic.com and search by my model, Repair Clinic does not even show a complete icemaker available. My scare is this one won't work any better than the one I have that looks very similar.

I don't know, but trust me thats the one for your model, I've done too many to be wrong.:)

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.