FIXED Whirlpool LEQ8858JQ1 Dryer hums and the drum doesn't spin

Model Number
LEQ8858JQ1
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello all, I need help on this one as I'm out of ideas. Our Whirlpool Ultimate Care 2 dryer that we purchased back in 2001 has just began giving us issues.

I'm having two issues:
1. It doesn't spin well - sometimes sounds like the belt drive on the motor is stuck - it hums and the drum doesn't spin
2. After a few moments of trying to get the drum to spin, the dryer will not start again until after waiting a few minutes.

I haven't tried a voltage tester to check out the timer, start button and any other wiring, but that's my next step. Here's what I've done thus far as it's been trial and error up to this point.
Replaced the door switch, thermal fuse, tensioner pulley, rear support wheels for the drum and lastly the motor

I'm out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

So when you start it sounds like a humming or grinding sound? If so then that usually indicates your motor bearing has gone bad.

But you already replaced the motor? We will need to see a video of this happening because basically you have already replaced the parts that would cause this except the drum belt.

Also check the blower wheel to make sure nothing is stuck in the blower wheel.

Here's the blower wheel for your model:
Blower Wheel WP694089

Jake

I'll check the blower wheel as well. Thanks.
Here's a video I took today showing what happening....I also replaced the belt to rule that out.

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I saw the video, you either got something stuck in the blower wheel or your motor bearing is bad if you can turn the drum with your hand both ways freely.

Jake

Thanks for the help Jake. There was an obstruction in the blower wheel. It has been removed and the area was cleaned well from lint, debris, etc. The drum now turns, but is labored and with a loud roaring noise. Could it be that when the new motor was installed that the blower wheel was installed too tight? I can post another video if necessary.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes post another video.

No, I've never seen a blower wheel installed too tight, in fact it should be installed tight.

Take the blower wheel off, and remove the belt from the motor pulley, then start the dryer on AIR DRY/NO HEAT then the motor will run alone, then we can see if it still sounds labored. Also make a video of it running alone.

Jake

After further investigation with turning the blower wheel, the front clamp on the motor wasn't secured. Once this was secured everything runs great now. In retrospect, the issue the entire time was the debris in the blower wheel and nothing with the motor or other parts. That's what I get for trial and error and not checking all the "problem areas" first.

Thank you for all your help Jake!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Ray, glad it was only debris in the blower wheel. And its good that you found the front clamp on the motor wasn't secured either and you fixed that.

Thanks for the update!

Jake