• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

whirlpool MH6130XEQ1

imdj

Premium Member
Ok, intermittent problem....lovely lightning show in microwave when operating....BIG FIRE HAZARD! Don't know the name of the part in the ceiling of the microwave, round waxed cardboard like piece held in by metal tabs, at any rate, one of those tabs keeps sparking like crazy (only intermittently) is now getting charred.
Anyone know name of part so that I can replace? Should I replace part or is there potentially something worse than that part being defective? Appreciate any help...thanks!

jmshaffer

Appliance Tech
First off, what's the serial number? Secondly, the name of the metallic looking cardboard piece is waveguide cover. If your serial number is within the right date code, there may be a recall on your unit. Let us know.

smellywax

Premium Member
I am having the same problem and I have model MH6150XQ-1 Serial number FGL4086954 but I can't find the replacement wave guide cover?

jmshaffer

Appliance Tech
Do you see a green sticker next to the model #? If not, your microwave has a recall issued back in 2001 and needs fixed. Unplug, call Whirlpool and do not use until it's fixed. That waveguide cover will be replaced with the recall.

smellywax

Premium Member
The model number is correct and it isn't recalled according to their website:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"If your serial number does not start with XC or there is a green square sticker on or around the serial number tag, then your microwave is not being recalled. "

I am going to call whirlpool.
[/FONT][/FONT]

smellywax

Premium Member
So I called whirlpool and of course the answer was to pay and have whirlpool come out. They said they couldn't read the part on their diagram. I can't afford to pay $80 for a service call on a $12 part. I have looked at pictures of wave guide covers and that is what it is but she didn't have a part number for a wave guide cover :confused: Do you think it would be safe buying a wave guide cover with the same approximate dimensions?

jmshaffer

Appliance Tech
Sure, you can usually find a local service company in your area who has a parts counter. Just ask for a waveguide cover board and trace and cut to shape. I've done it for years. As long as the one you're replacing is silverish and feels sort of like a stiff cardboard, go for it. Sorry for the misinformation, I forgot about the XC part...been years since that recall and my brain isn't as acute as it once was.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The model number is correct
Still won't come up for me at several places that I tried :(

I buy the sheets from local QBP parts depot for the microwave covers and cut out new ones like Jim mentioned.

jeff.