• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Microwave GH9177XLQ1 cutting out and then back on

waldreps

Premium Member
Model Number
GH9177XLQ1
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a Whirlpool Microwave hood (model # GH9177XLQ1, serial # TRR0610395) that has started having problems. I know it's old but we love this microwave and would like to fix if I can find reasonable replacement parts. It has started making an intermittent buzzing noise while heating food. Just this last week, it started acting really weird. I started heating food and then it cut out as if it briefly lost power. The lighted screen that did have the cooking time showing went dark and showed a screen that I would call a welcome screen.

Then the screen lit back up and went back to heating the food with the cooking time showing and continuing. This whole process took maybe a second or two. Then, after heating for another short time, it would do this again. Sometimes when it does this, it never goes back to heating food but just goes back to the standard screen. Then it stopped. For several days it worked totally normal with the exception of the intermittent buzzing noise.

Today it did another cut out and then picked back up again and finished the time. Any ideas? Is the power supply going bad? Is the buzzing caused by a magnetron going bad? Thanks for any help.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
This is the part you need. However, it's been discontinued and no longer available.
whirlpool-cntrl-elec-8205533-ap3778671_01_l.jpg

waldreps

Premium Member
I forgot to mention that when it cuts out, it makes beeping noises as if someone is pushing buttons on the keypad. I wonder if the keypad is going bad and has something to do with it. Does this part have something to do with the keypad?