• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Microwave GMH3204XVB1 stopped heating

Mathews Man

Premium Member
Model Number
GMH3204XVB1
Brand
Whirlpool
Greetings:

So, my microwave GMH3204XVB1 stopped heating, but all other functions are working. Everything I read online says change the magnetron. Any way to confirm this is the faulty part prior to ordering it? Thanks in advance!

Drew

Added complete model number

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Drew,

Your missing the last digit in your model number. That's very important to have. The model number tag should be located inside the door.

Here's the results I get:
GMH3204XVB0
GMH3204XVB1
GMH3204XVB2
GMH3204XVB3

Rick is the best at Microwaves, once you post that last digit, I'll ask him if he can assist you.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks, I'll message Rick to see if he can assist you.

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Start the microwave and check for 120 VAC on the Primary side of the high voltage transformer. If the voltage is correct, the problem is one of the high side components. Before checking the HV components, make sure the machine is unplugged and discharge the HV capacitor. Here's how to check the high side components:

C-HV Testing.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Rick!

Drew: Let us know what you find.

Jake