• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Microwave WMH78019HW sparking/arcing inside.

jerm1777

Premium Member
Model Number
WMH78019HW
Brand
Whirlpool
This morning we were trying to heat up something in our microwave and it started sparking and arcing from a small plate on the right inside top of the unit. This is also a convection model if that matters, but we mainly use it for the microwave function. I am reluctant to remove the plate since it may be under warranty, but I am not sure of that yet. We purchased the unit in January 2021. I attached a photo of the burned area. I am not sure what is under this plate, but I'd like to know in case I need to repair this myself. Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20220424_155225464.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220424_155225464.MP.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 53

jerm1777

Premium Member
Hi,

Missing a digit.
I found: WMH78019HWo WMH78019HW1 WMH78019HW2

jeff sr.
Attached is what is on the label inside the door. It just says WMH78019HW - 4. I don't see any model number on any other labels on the unit. Any ideas where I might find it?

Edit: In the whirlpool app on my phone it shows the model number as WMH78019HW04

Attachments

• PXL_20220424_171124057.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220424_171124057.MP.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Yes, that model# will be WMH78019HW04 or WMH78019HW-4

A copy from the use and care manual:

For one year from the date of purchase, when this major appliance is installed, operated and maintained according to instructions attached to or furnished with the product, Whirlpool Corporation or Whirlpool Canada LP (hereafter “Whirlpool”) will pay for Factory Specified Replacement Parts and repair labor to correct defects in materials or workmanship that existed when this major appliance was purchased, or at its sole discretion replace the product. In the event of product replacement, your appliance will be warranted for the remaining term of the original unit’s warranty period.

We purchased the unit in January 2021

Kinda looks like it may be out of warranty.

Parts breakdowns are not very good at all. Most are not up to your newer model yet. Most do not show the ceiling inside.
For sure that cover will have to come off and be replaced....but also need to see what else is burnt up inside of there.
Best of luck with the repair.
https://www.applianceaid.com/microwave-sparks.php

jeff sr.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.