• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Microwave YWMH76718AS2 - Tries to start, shuts down immediately

immortl

Premium Member
Model Number
YWMH76718AS2
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a Whirlpool YWMH76718AS2 microwave/convection over the range appliance. The door sensor appeared to be going out (inside light would flicker, wouldn't shut off if you opened the door and finally the "open and close door" message and it would not run at all. I replaced the lower door sensor and the door sensor message went away, the inside light only comes on when the door is open and goes off when the door is closed. However, now when I press start, the inside light comes on, there is a click behind the control panel, and then the inside light goes out and the appliance shuts off / does not start cooking, neither microwave nor convection function.

What else ought I look at? Elsewhere it was suggested trying the W11244490 sensors that are jumpered together. I'm about to order one to try, but the microwave model number doesn't appear on the bulletin.

Thanks,
Joe

edited to correct the model number, my bad.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

immortl

Premium Member
Thanks Rick, appreciate the help. Part was back ordered, but they checked and said it's still available from Whirlpool so it's ordered, just have to be patient. Curious if it died, or if I damaged it somehow in disconnecting the wires (some were stubborn). We'll see how it goes when the part arrives. Thanks again!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
They wear out over time. I doubt you did any damage removing the wires. Keep us posted.

immortl

Premium Member
Thanks again, and I will keep you posted. The part ought to be here in 3-4 weeks or so, maybe a tick sooner. I'll let you know how it goes.