FIXED Whirlpool Model WTW4850XQ0 top loading washer spin cycle issue

fenixtheone

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW4850XQ0
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello. For the last week and a half or so my wife an I have been having and issue with our washer machine. We will start a wash and we come to check on it it will have the done light on but the clothes will be soaked still. Sometimes we will come in and the spin light will be on but the lid lock light will be off and the machine will not be running. When we run a drain and spin cycle everything works fine. It just seems like the washer isn't spinning during the normal wash cycle. Normal cycle, cool darks, no fabric softener, extra rinse off. If there is any more info you guys need that might shed some light on this I will happily provide it. Just not sure if this is something I can try to fix myself or if I should just call a repair man. Thank you so much.

-Andrew

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Andrew,

That model number you posted doesn't pull up as good, please recheck it.

It should start with WTW or any 3 alphabets like that. The model number tag should be inside the lid/door.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks, Its possibly your shift actuator that may be the culprit. But lets verify that first.

This model is a Whirlpool - Vertical Modular Washer. You will need to locate your tech. data sheet and check for error codes and post what the error codes say.

Now I'm posting your Lid Lock Switch and the video of how to access and replace it, but I don't want you to replace the lid switch unless you get an error code saying to replace it. The main reason I'm posting your lid lock switch and video is just to show you how to access your tech. data sheet.

Here's the lid lock switch for your model:
Door Latch W10404050

Watch this video below, Once you have the top up, there should be a tech. data sheet inside the front panel.

[video=youtube_share;KKxD0oFM85I]

Go into diagnostics and retrieve the codes, and clear them. This is very important since most complaints start with the lid lock on and blinking, or the unit will not start and spin.

If, when in diagnostics the codes are F7E1, F7E5, or motor speed codes, then chances are it is a motor, capacitor, or shifter related issue. Once the codes are cleared, put the washer into a manual diagnostic test and run the HEAVY AGITATION; if
after 15‐20 Seconds the motor runs then you can rule out the motor, capacitor, control, and most likely the wiring harness connections (although still check the BK wire from the shifter to the control). Remember, the timing wheel only turns in the
transmission during the spin cycle.

Next, while in Manual diagnostics, try to get the unit to spin; if the motor hums for a split second and then shuts down with the lid lock blinking; go back into diagnostic codes and look for shifter or speed sensor errors.

This is proof that the shifter/sensor assembly is the issue because the optical sensor is not reading the motor speed.

Here's the shift actuator for your model you can order here(Video Included):
Shift Actuator WPW10006355

Let us know what you find.

Jake

fenixtheone

Premium Member
Thank so much for the detailed instructions. When I checked the error codes before running any of the tests I got F7E1 and F7E7. All the test went fine in both the agitator and spin cycles. I did both low and high spin with an empty basket using the manual test mode and it spun fine. Not sure where that leaves me. Thanks again for all your help.

-Andrew

fenixtheone

Premium Member
After running the calibration the washer is now throwing an F5E2 error. In addition you can hear that the lid lock is not engaging properly

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, check what bigbuck mentioned in his last post, if the lid lock bezel is fine, then its likely the shift actuator that you will need.

Here's another member that had those error codes and it was the shift actuator that fixed it: FIXED The good ol' Whirlpool Lid Lock Flashing Light Problem

Jake

fenixtheone

Premium Member
Thanks so much for your help guys. I replaced both the lid-lock switch and the shift actuator and everything is working just fine. I believe the primary problem was the actuator but the lid-lock was sporadically failing to lock so I decided might as well replace both. I really appreciate all the help and thanks again :)

-Andrew

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Andrew, glad to hear your back in business.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake