Whirlpool not spinning

mountainbiker33

Premium Member
Model Number
LA5700XMN0
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi guys!! Any help would be appreciated. I have this older Whirlpool (Model: L-5700XMN0; SN: C50542637). It operates beautifully (it will agitate, pump, fill, etc) but won't spin in any cycle setting. I do have a bit of oil on the bottom of the trans but it is not overwhelming.

Thanks so much!

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

mountainbiker33

Premium Member
Hi Rick!

Thanks for also replying to my other post about the fridge.

I mistook the "A" for a dash. Sorry. But I don't see two more letters. I only read the LA5700XMN0. DSCI0077.jpg Am I reading the plate in the picture wrong. (I hope I posted the pic correctly.) :)

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I only read the LA5700XMN0......Am I reading the plate in the picture wrong.
Wow, this is an old machine. No, you're not reading it wrong. It's just old. I'm not surprised it's still running. Those machines were built like a tank. OK, on that machine the spin is controlled by a "wig-wag" magnet. Pull the machine away from the wall and remove the access panel. There are two solenoids connected together on top of the transmission that move back and forth when the machine is running. The one on the right is for agitation and has a yellow wire and a white wire on it. The one on the left is for spin and has a red wire and a white wire on it. Assuming the lid switch is working correctly, when the washer goes into a spin cycle the coil is energized with 110 VAC and pulls the plunger up. The plunger slides a bar across the top of the transmission and puts the transmission in a spin cycle. Take the red wire and the white wire off of the solenoid and connect your meter leads, one on each wire. There's enough room and wire that you can let the meter leads and wires just hang down and put the machine into a spin cycle. If your meter indicates 110 VAC the "wig-wag" needs to be replaced. If there's no voltage indicated on your meter, first check the lid switch and make sure it has continuity. If it checks good, check the red wire where it goes through the hole in the top of the wig wag. It was common for the wire to break inside the wire casing from the constant back and forth movement. If there's no voltage and lid switch and wire check good, the problem will most likely be the timer. The timer is no longer available. In fact most parts for that machine are no longer available. However, if the wig wag is the problem, I still have two of them if you can't find one. I will make you a diagram to help you understand what I'm describing and attach it to this post:

Old Trans.jpg