Whirlpool Pilot Light won't stay lit

sfleury

Premium Member
Model Number
SG1J5040T3NOV
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a 50-gallon Whirlpool natural gas water heater that was installed new about 3 years ago. Today we had only warm water and checking the water heater discovered the pilot light was out. I tried to restart the pilot light, following the manual, by depressing the "red knob" and pushing the ignition button. Pilot lights and I continue to hold the button for one-minute as the instructions say. After a minute, when the knob is released the pilot light goes out.

There's also an led to note operational status. While holding the knob to start the pilot light the led blinks once every three seconds (manual says this signifies normal operation). After releasing the knob the red light stays on solid (manual says this signifies shutdown).

I have family showing up tomorrow for Christmas week so I need to do something. Absent suggestions here, I'm going to hit Lowe's in the morning to buy a thermocouple and start praying.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, it sounds like a thermocouple issue.

Is this Natural Gas? Or LP Gas?

I'd also make sure the pilot flame size is not too small, that could also cause this issue too, as it needs to come into contact with the thermocouple sensor.

Jake

sfleury

Premium Member
Nat Gas and yes, the flame is surrounding the thermocouple while holding down the button to start the pilot.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then yes, I agree with you, themocouple problem.

Jake