• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool Quiet Partner II drain problem (Model # DU1055XTVQ2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

novafixit

Premium Member
Model Number
DU1055XTVQ2
Brand
Whirlpool
I have an older Whirlpool Quiet Partner II that will not drain. Wash cycle runs normally, but the basin is full of water at the end of the cycle.

For a while the dishwasher was not completely draining, with some water left in the bottom. A second push on the Cancel/Drain button would remove the remaining water. I disassembled to check the screen for obstructions. This problem occurred once before and the cause was accumulation of debris. No signs this being the current problem.

The incomplete drain was ongoing for a few months, but suddenly last week it went fresh m incomplete drain to no drain. I push the Cancel/Drain switch, the pump sounds like it is running (or at least trying to run) but zero water flow into the garbage disposal.

I removed the water by hand, and I need to troubleshoot the cause to see if I should either fix or replace. This unit is approximately 6 to 8 years old, so that will factor in to my decision.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Did you also check the black rubber check valve flapper? If something is clogged in that port where it sits, it will drain very slow or not at all.

Here's black rubber check valve flapper for your model below, there is a video once you click the part link to it, that shows you where its located.

WP8268375 Check Valve

Let us know what you find.

Jake

novafixit

Premium Member
Jake,

I finally had a chance to perform the disassembly. The video was invaluable in working my through the process. Here's what I found:

In the video the area beneath the pump cover/spinner was dry, but in my dishwasher this area was filled with cloudy water. I'm assuming this is a result of incomplete draining, or maybe normal?

Removed the water and folllowed instructions.

I noticed the screen grate was cloudy on the inside surface. Is there a way to disassemble and clean this screen?
IMG_2233.jpg

When I removed the check valve it was covered in crud. After cleaning it off I see no signs of tears or cracks. I'm inclined to try it again after cleaning.

IMG_2236.jpg
IMG_2235.jpg

novafixit

Premium Member
IMG_2238.jpg

All sorts of crud on the grinder screen and inside the cover. I removed and cleaned these parts as well as the area inside the cover where they are located.

IMG_2239.jpg

novafixit

Premium Member
Reassembled everything and did a quick test where I ran some water then used the Cancel/Drain. Where before I had zero flow now I have very limited flow. I'm going to try a cycle with no dishes, but I suspect there is still a problem and at the end of the cycle a significant amount of water will be left behind.

I'll update later with results.

novafixit

Premium Member
Dishwasher is not draining. 1/2" of water remaining in the bottom at the end of a normal cycle (using a piece of cardboard as a dipstick).

IMG_2244.jpg

I ran the Drain function twice and the water was gone. Tge Drain cycle appears to be for a set amount of time, which leads me to believe there is something impeding the outflow so only 1/3 of the water that should drain is draining.

Any thoughts in the next step?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Remove the drain hose from the garbage disposal port and check for a clog in there, I see that clog a lot.

If what I mentioned above checks fine, watch the drain pump video below, as it also shows underneath the sink where your drain hose goes to the AIR GAP(2 Plastic hose connections), if you have an air gap check that too.

Here's the drain pump for your model:
WPW10348269 Drain Pump

If your AIR GAP is fine, or you don't have an AIR GAP, and you didn't find a clog where the drain hose connects to your garbage disposal port, then something check the drain pump itself to see if any of the impeller fins are cracked/broken.

Jake

iloveokra1

Premium Member
I'm interested if this was ever resolved. I also have a Quiet Partner II that is about seven years old and is doing something very similar. I can get it to drain by pressing the Cancel/Drain button but within a couple hours there is a full basin of water again. I ordered and replaced the impeller but that did not fix the problem. Any thoughts on whether replacing the pump would be my next best bet?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
When the complete cycle is done is there water in the tub?

If not, then you come back and look in the tub and water is in it, that can more than likely be your water inlet valve not closing all the way and letting water slowly seep in when the dishwasher is not in use. I've that happen many times on my service calls, the fix is to replace the water inlet valve.

Jake

iloveokra1

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. Yes, there is water in the tub at the end of a wash cycle in addition to the water gradually reappearing when the washer is off. There also appears to be some indication (cloudy, partially unclean glasses) that perhaps the dirty water isn't completely clearing during the actual wash cycle as well. What are your thoughts?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

iloveokra1

Premium Member
Jake,

I do have a disposal and the drain hose dose come in from above the the connection to the disposal. I have seen it referred to as a drain "loop." Does there need to be an actual loop (as in half a figure eight) in the excess drain hose or would that cause more drainage issues? I have also disconnected the hose and tested for blockages by putting the end of the hose in a bucket, pouring water into the basin, and hitting cancel/drain. That seems to work fine although the outgoing pressure isn't as strong as I might have suspected. Does any of this sound like a potential pump issue? Would a "tired" pump allow water to seep back in like I'm experiencing?

Thanks again,
Matt

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Matt, its most likely the drain pump then that's causing this problem. Yes, the drain pump impeller can become cracked or broken, or stripped when its trying to push the water out.

Do you have the exact same model number as nova DU1055XTVQ2?

If so, I posted the link to the drain pump in post#7.

Jake

iloveokra1

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Yes I do have a similar Whirlpool model. I have now replaced the impeller and I ordered and replaced the drain pump you mentioned in post #7. Unfortunately, neither of those have fixed my problem. Again, there is water sitting in the basin after a wash cycle. I can press drain/cancel and it will drain out but given and hour or two water fills back into the basin. When I forget to press drain/cancel in the morning it has twice filled until it is spilling out onto the floor after a work day. Any idea where to look next? Is there some sort of replaceable inlet valve that could be leaking or something. I'm stumped. Thanks for your time.

Matt

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Matt,

Do you have the exact same model number as nova DU1055XTVQ2? The model number tag is located inside the door on the tub inside frame.

The reason I need to know is because the problem is your water inlet valve is leaking water into the tub when the machine is off and not in use.

Here's the fill valve for model DU1055XTVQ2:
W10648041 Valve-Inlt

Video Included in part link.

Jake

iloveokra1

Premium Member
Thanks Jake,

It's not the exact model number, mine is DU1055XTVS3, but it looks like that's the correct inlet valve anyway. Will order and replace. I've tested the theory that it is the water inlet by turning off the incoming water and that seems to keep it from refilling, so hopefully this is the fix. Wish I would have thought of it sooner. Thanks again for your help.

Matt

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Matt,

Yes, per your model number DU1055XTVS3 that water inlet valve is the exact same for your model.

I've tested the theory that it is the water inlet by turning off the incoming water and that seems to keep it from refilling, so hopefully this is the fix.
Yes, That's a good way to make sure its your water inlet valve leaking water back into your tub.:)

The new water inlet valve will fix it.:)

There is a video in the water inlet valve part link that shows you how to replace it. Its fairly simple, I've replaced about 100 of them in my 30 years as a career appliance tech.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

iloveokra1

Premium Member
Jake,

Just wanted to follow up and let you know that this finally fixed the problem. Thanks so much for you help.

Matt

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Matt good job, glad to hear that.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.