• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Range GS470LEMB0 - Gas oven new bake igniter will not spark

John99

Premium Member
Model Number
GS470LEMB0
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello,
I have a 15 years old gas oven (GS470LEMB0). Bake or boiler does not work. When the bake mode is turned on, I can hear the valve clicks (twice) but I do not see the igniter spark and I cannot hear gas is flowing. I have tried to use a lighter to manually light up the bake burn but it did not work. A new bake igniter did not fix. Bake igniter wire continuity is good.

What else can I check to isolate the root failure?? Only things to replace are the valve or the igniter control board.

Thanks in advance.
J

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Unplug the range. Check the coils on the DSI valve for 216Ω. Check both coils.
Direct Spark Gas Valve.jpg

If the DSI valve checks good, restore power and access the DSI board. Set the oven to bake and check for 120 VAC across J1-4 TO J1-6. Check for 8 to 18 VDC across J1-1 to J1-2
C-DSI Gas Range.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

John99

Premium Member
Unplug the range. Check the coils on the DSI valve for 216Ω. Check both coils.
View attachment 60852

If the DSI valve checks good, restore power and access the DSI board. Set the oven to bake and check for 120 VAC across J1-4 TO J1-6. Check for 8 to 18 VDC across J1-1 to J1-2
View attachment 60853
Thanks, Rick!!
I have checked the DSI gas valve and found the broil valve resistance is open and the bake is 218 ohms. So, if one of the valves does not work then the igniter won't spark?? I have checked the voltage on the J1 pin1 and 2 is 0V (while bake is on).
Thanks again!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I have checked the DSI gas valve and found the broil valve resistance is open and the bake is 218 ohms.
Yuppers, bad DSI gas valve. Let us know how it goes after you replace the DSI gas valve.

Jake