• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool Range WEG745H0FS0 Front burners -yellow flame/ soot

retoropak

Premium Member
Model Number
WEG745H0FS0
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a 4 year old Whirlpool Natural gas slide in range that started acting up a year or two ago.
The front two burners have hard time lighting off (I have to lift the burner cap slightly to get it to light off) also the flame is lazy yellow and soots up the pots.
The back and center burners as well as oven works great

I already checked the main gas pressure and range's regulator. I replaced the regulator and it didn't do anything.
There is absolutely no air adjustment in the burner itself and I checked the jetsand they are NG ones.

I removed the top plate and cleaned everything but it didn't change a thing.

To alleviate the problem I swapped the 180 and 190 jets for smaller ones (i drilled out couple Propane jets to get to 150-160 size) it works better but still not the way it should be.

The only other post that I found with the same issue is here https://www.applianceblog.com/mainf...t-on-pots-weg745h0fs-natural-gas-stove.80582/

It seems that the fix was to replace the burners.

It just doesn't make any sense for me. The burner head is a solid piece of cast aluminum with cast steel cap. There is absolutely nothing that can go wrong with this part.

Unless there is something wrong with the manifold and valves itself.

I would appreciate any help.

Thank You

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
When someone tells me they drilled the orifices, I normally would say all bets off. LOL However it sounds like you still have the original orifices. So, it's just the front burners not working correctly. The rear burners burners and oven work OK, correct? Clean the holes on the burner head with a wire brush. Take the knob off and look in the center of the shaft for an adjustment screw.

retoropak

Premium Member
When someone tells me they drilled the orifices, I normally would say all bets off. LOL However it sounds like you still have the original orifices. So, it's just the front burners not working correctly. The rear burners burners and oven work OK, correct? Clean the holes on the burner head with a wire brush. Take the knob off and look in the center of the shaft for an adjustment screw.
Lol I got a set of nice drills and good caliper to get measurements. I drill the orifices to be roughly 150-160 size (stock are 180 and 190)
I still have the original orifices.
That is correct just the fronts are burning yellow. Rear, center and oven are perfect.
I adjusted the screws under the knobs but still no go. It will burn yellow on low, medium and high flame no matter the position of the valve or the adjustment screw.
I wire brushed the heck out of the burner heads but it didn't help.

I were going to buy new heads but the are out of stock everywhere

retoropak

Premium Member
I took it appart today again cleaned it a bit and checked the manifold pressure.
Below is the picture of high flame with 190
orifice.

E448EEB0-9CE5-44FC-A0CA-66DFFAC3D0C2.jpeg

Pressure at the orifice was somewhere in between 5.5-6”WC

484051F1-BEC1-4B68-A60C-1D54D2E65AE6.jpeg

Here is the picture of top plate and burner heads removed.

C33D343C-DBE4-4530-B8F6-3942EF726CB5.jpeg

Attachments

• 8D9B122A-F5B4-4BA5-9699-81295D990AC3.jpeg
    8D9B122A-F5B4-4BA5-9699-81295D990AC3.jpeg
    388.8 KB · Views: 83

paulhl

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Seeing that flame reminds me of a common Wolf range problem when the head is not positioned correctly. I've seen them actually melt the burner body. Looking at that base I don't see how that burner head can fit properly on it.

retoropak

Premium Member
I guess ill try to get new burner heads and see if it fixes the problem. Who knows maybe something deformed from heat and the head doesnt sit properly.

retoropak

Premium Member
A little update.

I replaced the burner head and it fixed the problem.

Looks like the original head was warped or somewhat deformed. The outer skirt sat rougly 2mm lower and the tube that goes into the burner base was 2mm shorter.

It kind of mushroomed from heat pushing the inner part up and sagging the outer part.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.