• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Range WFE540H0AE0 - Oven temp unstable

Brett Anderson

Premium Member
Model Number
WFE540H0AE0
Brand
Whirlpool
This range has started to act up. Typical scenario: Preheat to 400 degrees. When it indicates it is at temperature, it may actually only be at around 250 degrees, leaving items under cooked. Other times it seems to be at the correct temp but when checking later, it has dropped again by a good 150 degrees. I don't know whether to look at the bake element, temp sensor or maybe even the convection fan? I'm tempted to just replace the sensor as it is a very affordable part. Any advice would be appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Brett,

I'd first ohm test your oven sensor. I use this multimeter myself: Multimeter DM10T

To ohm test the oven sensor: All you do is pull your range out from the wall, then unplug it, then remove the back access panel and you will see a little plastic connector that connects to your oven sensor, just unsnap that little plastic connector and take a ohm reading on it at room temperature per the video below.

Here's the oven sensor for your model:
Oven Sensor WPW10181986

Watch this video to ohm test it:

Normal would be 1050 to 1100 ohms at room temperature.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Brett Anderson

Premium Member
Well - this was a bit disappointing. I scheduled with her to test the sensor and told her that a new one was very inexpensive should it test bad. She insisted I order a new sensor, even though I told her my gut said the sensor would test good. So I did so. I then went there on the scheduled date and tested it - it tested good. At that point she said she had spent too much on the thing and didn't want to go further. I didn't even charge her anything for my time. I suspect the control board was the issue but since she had already replaced the bake element (before i was contacted) and the sensor was deemed good, she was don. Thank you for trying.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sorry to hear that. Next time be very firm with the customer and tell them you NEED to test the oven sensor before you order a new one.

Jake