• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool Range WFG505M0BS3 Oven Stops Heating in the Middle of Cooking

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginky4

Premium Member
Model Number
WFG505M0BS3
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a gas Whirlpool oven that has a weird problem. I can preheat it to the desired temperature. I put the food in to cook.

When I come back later (timing varies), the oven is only partially heated, and the food is not cooked.

It's as if the oven turns itself off in the middle of cooking the food even though it says it is still at the desired temperature.

When opening the oven, you can tell it is not because it is not as hot as it should be.

When I try to preheat it again, the temperature gets stuck on 175 degrees for a bit. Sometimes it will preheat to the desired temperature and other times it will not.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm attaching the tech. data sheet below. On page 1 put it in DIAGNOSTIC MODE and tell us the LAST FAULT CODE it recorded.

Jake

Attachments

• TechSheet-W10200950-RevA.pdf
    235.9 KB · Views: 57

ginky4

Premium Member
It goes from Test, to 44, to -20, to 526. To Fd6, to CLr to 505, to 01.

It's pretty much the same sequence of numbers every time I put it in diagnostic mode. The number after Test changes between 44 to 47.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The last fault code is in 5A.

1. To enter into diagnostics mode press the CANCEL/OFF and START keys in the following order when the oven is not in cooking or broiling mode. CANCEL/OFF > CANCEL/OFF > START. The control will then
indicate test in the display.

2. Press the TEMP/TIME “up” arrow key to read the following:
1 = oven sensor temperature; 2 = user cooking offset; 3 = software version; 4 = memory checksum; 5A = last fault code

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, that's very weird, you should see 5A, BUT it may not show 5A if no fault codes are present, the tech. data sheet is not clear about that.

Then its either the oven sensor, oven igniter, or control board that's bad.

I'd first ohm test your oven sensor. I use this multimeter myself: Multimeter DM10T

To ohm test the oven sensor: All you do is pull your range out from the wall, then unplug it, then remove the back access panel and you will see a little plastic connector that connects to your oven sensor, just unsnap that little plastic connector and take a ohm reading on it at room temperature per the video below.

Here's the oven sensor for your model:
Oven Sensor WPW10181986

Watch this video to ohm test it:

If the oven sensor ohm tests good, read below.

When you first start the oven it should only take about 45 to 60 seconds for the flame to light.

If it's taking longer than 60 seconds then that indicates the oven igniter is weak. Time it with a stop watch.

Here's the oven ignitor for your model:

Here's the control board for your model:

Let us know what you find.

Jake

ginky4

Premium Member
So here is what I found. I tested the oven sensor with an Ohm meter and got 10.76 The igniter came on in 23 seconds so that appears to also be fine.

Is there a way to test the Control Board?

Attachments

• IMG_7594.jpg
    IMG_7594.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 26

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, so that means your oven sensor is good and your oven ignitor is good, so that just leaves the control board as the culprit.

Is there a way to test the Control Board?
Nope, just through process of elimination like you just did.

Jake

ginky4

Premium Member
So the new control board came in today from the company you recommended.

I installed the new control board and now for some reason my igniter won't work with the new board. Any idea why this would be happening and what would cause this?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Possibly a defective control board or you left a wire connector loose.

Double check your wiring and if that's fine contact AppliancePartsPros at 1-877-477-7278 and they will send you another new one free of charge.

Jake

ginky4

Premium Member
I disconnected and reconnected everything. The ignitor is now working.

Just hope now that the oven holds the temperature when I go to cook something.

Will let you know.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I disconnected and reconnected everything. The ignitor is now working.
Excellent.(y)

Yes, keep us posted.

Jake

ginky4

Premium Member
Well, the new control board did not fix the issue. With the new board installed the oven preheated to 100 degrees.

It stayed there for awhile before it moved higher. It eventually got to 425 degrees but did not hold that temperature for long.

After about 10 minutes the temperature dropped. 45 minutes of cooking and the oven didn't cook the food.

It's the same exact issue I was experiencing with the original control board.

Anything else you can recommend to try?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Do this--->Get a stopwatch and time how long it takes from when you first start the oven till the flame ignites. Normal would be between 45-60 seconds.

Jake

ginky4

Premium Member
So I did some more testing. I turned the oven off. I set it to 350 degrees. Within 10 minutes it got to 350 degrees.

Within 6 minutes after that it dropped to 280 degrees. It just isn't holding the temperature.

Is there some type of internal thermostat that could be bad?

The ignitor comes on in 23 seconds and the oven sensor tests fine with an ohm meter.

Last edited:

ginky4

Premium Member
Jake, do you think it is still possible that even though the Oven Sensor passes the ohm test that it could still be bad? What other part would regulate or monitor the oven temperature?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, if the oven sensor is good per ohm testing it, then its good.

The control board should of fixed it, I don't know why it didn't.

I can ask Rick what he thinks.

Jake

ginky4

Premium Member
Jake, I believe the issue here is a defective ignitor. It's the only thing it can be.

Once the oven gets to the temperature requested and then begins to cool it seems like the ignitor is not coming back on to provide the heat.

Your thoughts?

Does this range have an oven igniter and a burner igniter? One or two igniters in this model?

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's what I was trying to find out, when the oven tries to cycle the heat back on, the bake igniter glow bar should glow orange and the gas should fire up within 45-60 seconds. have you checked that after the preheat cycle?

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.