• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool Range WFG505M0BS3 Oven Stops Heating in the Middle of Cooking

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The ignitor comes on in 23 seconds
Normal would be between 45-60 seconds.
That seems to be a bit long to me so I tried to find if there's a mention of it in any of my gas range manuals. There's not, or at least I couldn't find one. I grabbed one out of the back of my truck and used a cheater cord and amp meter. It reached 3.7 amps and max glow in 4 seconds. My sister has a gas range so I called her and had her open the oven door (you can see the igniter glow in her oven) turn on the oven and see how long before oven ignites. She said about 6 seconds. Check the amp draw on the igniter:

C-Igniter Amps.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
LOL, No I meant from the time you turn the oven on 350 till the time the gas flame fires up--->should be about 45-60 seconds, not the time it takes for the igniter turning orange.:)

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
You can take the "igniter turning orange" out of the equation and replace it with 3.2 amps. If I had an igniter that took longer than 10 seconds to reach 3.2 amps, I would consider that a weak/bad igniter. But that's just me ...lol

ginky4

Premium Member
Ok, I am going to replace the igniter. The problem now is trying to find it.

Seems to be backordered everywhere.

Also need to figure out if the vendor you recommended for the control board will take that back even though it was already opened.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is there a substitute part number for this igniter that will work?
You might want to go to your local appliance parts store with the old igniter and see if they can match it up with a universal one.

Jake

ginky4

Premium Member
Do you have an amp probe or amp meter to check the one in there now?
Yes. I tested the igniter and it only got up to 3.2 at the highest within 10 seconds, but quickly dropped to 3.0 then 2.9. The igniter is back in stock on the website Jake recommended, so I will purchase one if you believe that is the root cause.

ginky4

Premium Member
The new igniter came in today. Looks like everything is working properly now. I was able to heat the food in the oven and it held the temperature for the duration.

Can you guys recommend where I can sell this new Control Board that i don't need?

The vendor you recommended will not take it back if the package was opened.

The package has been opened.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
When you first start the oven it should only take about 45 to 60 seconds for the flame to light.

If it's taking longer than 60 seconds then that indicates the oven igniter is weak. Time it with a stop watch.
The igniter came on in 23 seconds so that appears to also be fine.
Just so I'm perfectly clear for others, and I've said this a million times since I started this site in 2004.

When the oven is first turned on it should only take 45-60 seconds for the gas flame to come on, not the glowing orange of the ignitor itself.:)

Because when the ignitor glows orange the amps are rising up to a constant of 3.2-3.6 amps in order to open the gas safety valve to let the gas out.:)

I've seen that ignitor glow orange more than 2 minutes and the gas never comes out the safety valve because the igniter is weak and can't get it up to a constant of 3.2-3.6 amps to open the gas safety valve to let the gas come out to be ignited by the orange glowing oven igniter.

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.