• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Range WFG540H0ES0 bake and broil both stopped working simultaneously. Range still works.

pdxMike

Premium Member
Model Number
WFG540H0ES0
Brand
Whirlpool
Both top and bottom burners in the oven stopped working simultaneously. No clear event that would have caused it.

No gas to bake burner.
No gas to broil burner.
There IS gas to the range top burners, which are working, and igniting, just fine.

This model has direct spark igniters.
There is no clicking when I try to light the broil burner
There is no clicking when I try to light the bake burner -- however, for the first 5-6 times that I tried to light it, there WAS clicking at the bake burner. Just no gas. And then the clicking stopped happening -- now when I try to light either burner there's no clicking, no gas. The control board says they're on, but they're not on.

Do I have to assume that because both burners went at the same time, that it's not the igniters, but that it's the control board? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Mike

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Mike,

First check to make sure the little shut-off lever on your gas regulator didn't get turned off by accident, I'm attaching the service bulletin about that below.

The Gas regulator is located in the back of your range, once you pull it out from the wall.

Jake

Attachments

• W10714913.pdf
    692.8 KB · Views: 39

pdxMike

Premium Member
Jake, thanks. Looks like it's on:

1632802514391.jpeg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, good!

I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below, get into the diagnostics and check for any fault codes.

Jake

Attachments

• W10538795-reva.pdf
    300.7 KB · Views: 43

pdxMike

Premium Member
Jake, I went into the diagnostics. There were no fault codes.

1633297153847.jpeg

And I went through all the diagnostics checks and everything performed as expected. The only slight variation was that at the command for the Enunciator Operation, there was no tone. And there was no tone at the Exit Diagnostics step.

So:

* Top burners working
* Bake and broil both non-responsive
* No error codes

What are my options now?

Thanks for all your help with this.

Mike

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Mike, its sounds like its possibly the DSI(spark module) board.

OK, first, unplug the machine and measure the resistance of both coils on the DSI valve You're looking for 216Ω on both coils. If the resistance is correct, access the DSI board then restore power to the range. Set the oven to bake (350°-400°). You're looking for 8-18 VDC across J1-1 and J1-2 You're looking for 120 VAC across J1-4 and J1-6.

C-DSI Gas Range-2.jpg

Here's the DSI(spark module) Board for your model:
whirlpool-module-spark-dsi-wpw10511278-ap6022501_01_l.jpg

Let us know what you find.

Jake

pdxMike

Premium Member
Jake,

One of the wires coming off the purple coil of the DSI valve was torn in half. Maybe a rat?

I fixed it. Didn't change anything. Still no bake or broil. Checked the resistance. 213Ω on both coils of the DSI valve.

Measuring across J1-1 and J1-2: 0.1 VDC. And across J1-4 and J1-6: 6V. See pictures; I just got this multimeter. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

It does seem like part of the board right below that spot is maybe a little fried.

Thoughts?

Thanks again,
Mike

1633756632274.jpeg 1633756900260.jpeg 1633756986337.jpeg 1633756942009.jpeg 1633756953023.jpeg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Mike, your DSI(spark model) board is bad.

Let us know how it goes after you replace it.

Jake

pdxMike

Premium Member
Jake,

I ordered the DSI board. There was a shipping issue and it took a long time to get here.

I installed it, and plugged the stove in, and the new board started smoking immediately. I unplugged it.

Before that, the electric start on the stovetop burners still worked, just the oven was broken. Now the stovetop doesn't work either unless I light it with a lighter.

I got a nice old stove from a friend and installed it. Now I have to figure out what to do with this one. Any thoughts on what's happening? Any way to fix it? Or to return this board?

Thanks,
Mowgli

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds like its a defective board, contact the place where you got it from and let them know.

Jake