• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool Refrig (WRX988SIBM00) Ice maker stopped but water still dispenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob182

Premium Member
Model Number
WRX988SIBM00
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello All...

I know this has been discussed and the option is to replace the ice maker completely. However, I keep our appliances in tip top shape and have 3 kids in college so I need to exhaust all possibilities before I spend the $$.

Note: Water is dispensing as usual.

Here's what I have done so far:

• Ran Service Test 56 - Result = E2
  • Ran Service Test 59 - Displayed "10" initially and then went to "02" after a minute. I pressed SW3 and it showed a blinking "2" which I am assuming is the next test or "motor off" (not clear in the instructions) and this displayed "30" which then went to "02".
  • Ran Service Test 58 - to turn on the heater ("1") thinking maybe there is an accumulation of ice and this may help as well as using a hair dryer to really melt that area. No luck.
  • Ran Service Test 45 - Water is filled in ice maker.
  • Ran Service Test 59 again - same errors.
  • Removed the water filter to bypass it (just in case it is a filter problem) and initiated Fast Ice option. No luck again.

Question: Is it possible that the mechanism is iced over and preventing the harvest and the motor is stuck? Should I unplug, thaw out and try again? Is there a way to test the control unit itself? So many questions!!!

My biggest fear is that I order the part and it does the same thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Put a freezer thermometer in the ice maker compartment and give it a couple hours and see what it reads--->Normal temperature would be 0 to 10 degrees in the ice maker compartment, if that's the case and your ice maker is not making ice and with the E2 error code as well, then you would need to replace the ice maker to fix it.

I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below.

SERVICE TEST 56--->E2 = Motor lost position

Ran Service Test 59 - Displayed "10" initially and then went to "02" after a minute.
If your ice maker compartment temperature is fine, SERVICE TEST 59:
10--->Motor rotating clockwise until home position, in progress.
02--->Motor off, harvesting NOT completed.

Check for ice that may be stuck in the blades first keeping it from rotating to the home position.

Here's the ice maker for your model:
WPW10764668 Ice Maker Assy-Lp

Jake

Attachments

• WRX988SIBM00 Tech Sheet - W10689354 - Rev A (1).pdf
    369.9 KB · Views: 35

Bob182

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thanks for your reply. I was almost ready to give up until I thought of another idea and it worked! My theory was that there was some blockage I could not see.
  • I turned off the power to the refrigerator for about 5 minutes
  • Ran the Service Test for the heater to be manually turned on. After a while, I can feel the heat coming out of the ice discharge area.
  • Ran the Service Test 56 - Result = E0 (at this point I was cautiously optimistic)
  • Ran Service Test 59 - all tests passed = "01"
  • I ran Service Test 45 - Water filled in ice maker.
  • Put the unit on Fast Ice
Low and behold, we heard the dropping of ice!! I am guessing that the control unit was stuck on some of the error codes and just like a computer, I needed to reset the internal circuit. Not sure if that was it but it worked (for now).

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Or you had a chuck of ice stuck in the ice maker ejector blades keeping the blades from rotating fully to the home position.:)

Then when you had the ice maker tray mold heater on it melted that stuck ice.

Glad to hear your back in business.(y)

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.