• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool Refrigerator ED5VHEXTB01 Ice maker not making ice

bouwmanm

Premium Member
Model Number
ED5VHEXTB01
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello,
First time post, long time lurker. I have a whirlpool ED5VHEXTB01 side by side refrigerator. Having watched the most common issues, I just replaced the water inlet valve yesterday. Woke up this morning no ice. I found a vid where you can jump the T and H in the ice maker. When I did this, the element heated up and what left over ice in the tray, it dispensed.
I then checked the V and L with a jumper. The water started pouring from the tube in the back into the tray.

So, the ice maker and inlet valve are both working. I also tested the door switch. It has continuity and works fine.

I can only think that the ice maker is not within the correct temp? The setting according to the manual is 'optimal' I.E in the middle setting.

I'm scratching my head as I cant think of any other way for this thing to start making ice.

Please help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Put a freezer thermometer inside the freezer and see what temperature reads. If you don't have a freezer thermometer, run to the store and get one, get the RED LIQUID style, or Digital style. Most are under $10.00.:)

It needs to be 16 degrees or colder at all times to dump ice every 90 minutes or less, the colder it is in the freezer the faster the ice maker dumps.

Here's the ice maker for your model:
Ice Maker Assembly WPW10190965

Jake

bouwmanm

Premium Member
Jake-
Thanks for the reply. So, while I posted my first post I decided to try something. I moved the temp down on the freezer settings. And it seems to be working. Although, somewhat intermittently. What is happening is, when the maker makes the ice, the bail wire does not go down. So, in order for the ice to dispense into the tray, I have to force the wire down, the ice then dispenses from the maker. Once it dispenses, I hear the solenoid and see water filling the tray.

What is happening before all this and once the ice dispenses is, once I force the bail wire down for the ice to dispense, it raises. Not to the fully off, but somewhat high. Then the tines in the tray stop at a 30 degree. So, its like once the ice is pushed out from the maker they rotate around to bout the 2 o clock position and then the ice comes down, and we do the dance again.

Is this the ice maker that is faulty? This is what it seems to me. Its almost like since the bail is high in order for ice to dispense into the tray I have to force that bail wire down. Then the tines rotate, lift the ice out, and then the bail wire goes up. But, never goes back down.

Hopefully, I'm making sense here...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that indicates the ice maker is faulty, and you'd need to order the new ice maker I posted the link to above to fix it.:)

Jake

bouwmanm

Premium Member
Thanks, for your reply Jake. That seems to have fixed one issue. The other issue is the front dispenser. It makes ice now, it is not dispensing. I dont even hear a click like there is a micro switch in there. First of all, how does one take the front cover off? Or am I jumping the gun? Is there other troubleshooting methods I need to check first?

Thanks again!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear the new ice maker fixed it.(y)

For the dispenser:
Here's the parts diagram:
#15 is the bracket support, that may be the issue, read below:

I'd first check the dispenser bracket that holds the ice dispenser switch in place, to make sure the little plastic pins are not broken.

The most common issue when this happens on your model is the bracket support plastic switch pins break, thus no water or no ice.

You would need to remove your front dispenser frame #23 in that diagram.

Then look at your support bracket #15 to see if the little plastic pins are broken that hold your ice and water dispenser switches #14 in place.

Here's the dispenser bracket for your model you can order(Video Included in part link):
WP2180226 Bracket

Let us know what you find.

Jake

bouwmanm

Premium Member
Perfect... One I found out how to remove the front panel, I found the bracket was busted in several places. Notably, where the microswitch was for the ice dispenser. It was not connecting as one of the plastic pins was busted. Ordered that, and a new dispenser housing, and filter, and presto... Working ice and dispenser.

Thanks so much for all you do here. Big help! I have another issue but its for my garage fridge. Once I find the model I will post back up.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad the new bracket fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake