• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool refrigerator ET8FTEXVQ01 thermostat out of stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sycamore

Premium Member
Model Number
ET8FTEXVQ01
Brand
Whirlpool
I have been having problems with my Whirlpool ET8FTEXVQ01 model. It is about 10 years old, and some days it would not start to cool/freeze food inside. Again, only some days. It may work fine for 2-3 days, keeping it cold/freezing, and we hear it going through its normal cycles. Then all of a sudden we notice it stays silent for a prolonged period of time (several hours) without starting, and the temperatures are rising both in the fridge and the freezer compartment. Then tapping on the thermostat inside the fridge helps it to start! So we figured the problem is a faulty thermostat, and it would be worth trying to replace it.

But the original part (WP2210489) is no longer available:

There is a thermostat from another model that looks identical:

The fridge itself looks identical, with the only difference that our model has an Adaptive Defrost Control Board, while the other model uses a defrost timer. So my question is, would this other thermostat be compatible with my model? It would fit as far as the physical parameters, but would it be compatible to run with a control board for instance? Or is it a different type of thermostat altogether?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Both temperature control thermostats are No Longer Available.

At any rate you can not use another one in its place, it will not work properly.

Jake

Sycamore

Premium Member
Thanks for your reply! So strange that every other part for this model is available except this one. So no way to replace/fix it, and time to get a new fridge?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Correct, time to go refrigerator shopping.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Or try ebay for the temperature control thermostat.

Jake

Sycamore

Premium Member
A little update. The WP2210489 was not available on eBay either. But I did some research and found several similar models of refrigerators that use the same control board as mine, same wiring, same defrost thermostat, same compressor etc. (all part numbers are identical), but they use the WP2200859 thermostat, the one I was told was not compatible with my fridge, which did not make much sense. But since my only other option was to scrap my fridge, I thought why not try that other thermostat first, it cost $15 on eBay. So did that, and my fridge is now working like new! I work from home and decided to work in the kitchen to watch for abnormal signs, but there have been none so far. It goes through its usual cycles, keeps the desired temperatures in the refrigerator and the freezer sections, on, off, defrost, just like it was before. And as I removed the old thermostat and shook it, it sounded like some piece broke off and was loose inside. No wonder it was not working.
So far so great! :)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear that.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.