• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Refrigerator/Freezer Model ET1WTKXKQ03 erratic temperatures

170Flyer

Premium Member
Model Number
ET1WTKXKQ03
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a Whirlpool refrigerator/freezer that has erratic temperatures. Sometimes the temperatures are fine, other times they go above 55F in the refrigerator compartment and above 32F in the freezer compartment. I cleaned the condenser coils on the underside of the unit and they are spotless. I also replaced the defrost timer, since I had put a mark on the timer to see if it advanced. It didn't, so that is why the timer was replaced. I set the thermostat at mid-point, and it seemed to be fine, then it became erratic. I then set it almost all the way to the coldest position, and then it seemed to work again. It even became too cold, so I set it to a warmer setting. Then it went erratic again. Seems to be OK for a week or so, then becomes erratic. I'm thinking a bad thermostat, but it's intermittent, and those problems seem to be more difficult to pinpoint. Any help would be appreciated.
Whirlpool model: ET1WTKXKQ03 Serial: ER3432039 Mfg. date: 08-04 Type: 21TFA

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I assume instead of "erratic" you just mean gets warmer?

If the fridge periodically just gets warmer than expected on its own, there are a number of systems that would need to be inspected at that time and before any defrosting or unplugging, etc. Operation of the compressor and fans probably foremost. The most common observations expected are described at this link.

Let us know if any malfunctions are observed.

Dan O.

170Flyer

Premium Member
Thanks Dan O. I'll watch it over the next week or so and see what I find. I'll report back with my findings.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Yes, do that. The possibilities have to be checked right when the problem is actually occurring and before any intervention is done.

Dan O.

170Flyer

Premium Member
Sorry for the late reply. I took my time observing the unit. Observed the operation of the defrost timer. Defrost heater energized (verified with amp meter), frost on the coil appeared to have melted, defrost thermostat opened and de-energized the heater. As time passed, defrost timer then energized the compressor. All seemed to be working so far. Continually checked the temps in the refrigerator and freezer compartments. Temps seemed to be ok, then it would not de-energize the compressor and both compartments got way too cold. Decided to replace the thermostat. After 2 weeks of operation with a new thermostat, both compartments are good with the temperatures and unit is working fine! The only thing that I don't like about this unit is that there is no separate temperature controls for the freezer and refrigerator compartments. Thanks DanO. for all of your help!! worked out great!!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
170Flyer said:
I took my time observing the unit.

Accurate symptoms are needed to make correct diagnosis.

170Flyer said:
The only thing that I don't like about this unit is that there is no separate temperature controls for the freezer and refrigerator compartments.

Refrigerators operated like that for 40-50 years without a problem. It's only newer models that control the compartments individually, some going as far as having totally separate cooling units for each compartment. More stuff to break down. Electronics are the worst! IMO.

Thanks for the follow up.

Dan O.