• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Refrigerator GD5RHAXNB00 Ice maker stopped working and lights not working

tntupper

Premium Member
Model Number
GD5RHAXNB00
Brand
Whirlpool
Ice maker stopped working 6 yrs ago or so. Tired of using ice trays, so I figure what can it hurt to try and fix it.
I took it apart and tried to jump the V&L and T&H I read in another thread, but nothing happened.

Also (possibly related) the LED number lights on control box on refrigerator side stopped working, as well as the actual light in the fridge. I did replace the bulb, but still not working.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, do this check:

Step#1: Open the freezer and view the status led

(STATUS LED)

2 BLINKS FOLLOWED BY 1 SEC. DELAY(REPEATED)

POSSIBLE CAUSES: The flapper door on the emitter is blocking the beam or the optics are faultly.

Step#2: Press the emitter flapper to unblock the optics beam

(STATUS LED)

2 BLINKS FOLLOWED BY 1 SEC. DELAY(REPEATED)

POSSIBLE CAUSES: The optics are faulty. Replace the emitter and receiver boards.

If the LED is on steady: The optics are working properly.

Here are the boards you can order, they come together in 1 kit with instructions:
W10757851 Ice Level Power Control Board Kit

Jake

tntupper

Premium Member
The LED light in freezer is working. Steady light when flapper is not blocking, two flashes and one second pause when it is blocked.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, good!

What position is the ice maker ejector fingers pointing currently right now? At you? down in the tray? Straight up?

Normal would be pointing at you or slightly above you. If yours is not, then its your ice maker that's bad.

Here's the ice maker for your model, see how the ejector arm fingers should be pointing right at you?
Ice Maker Assembly 2198597

Here's the ice maker for your model you can order:
2198597 Complete Icemaker Assembly (8 Cube)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
BEFORE you jumped the T & H holes on the ice maker module with your jumper wire did you UNPLUG THE REFRIGERATOR FIRST for 5 minutes, then plug PLUG THE REFRIGERATOR BACK IN and hold the light switch in and the flapper on the left side in, both at the same time for about 30-60 seconds while that jumper wire is in T & H? Then remove the jumper wire after the gear starts turning about a 1/4 of the way around?

Also don't get your arms in the way of that sensor beam.

If its easier just use some tape to keep the flapper on the left side pushed-in.

Was there any ice in the ice maker tray mold at all?

Jake

tntupper

Premium Member
I forgot to unplug the fridge. So I went back and took the ice maker out again, but ended up hitting the dial and breaking it. I'm guessing that I will need to replace the whole thing?
IMG_20210808_142545901.jpg

But as for the other issue with no light, is it related? And no LED numbers on control?
IMG_20210808_142520096.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you will need a new ice maker, or new ice maker module if your ice tray is not all gunked up with white calcium, or if the ice maker tray coating is not flaking off.

The lights being out on your control display is caused by a bad control board.

Unfortunately it's no longer available:
whirlpool-control-elek-thevenin-wpw10135090-ap6015557_01_m.jpg

But with a bad control board I wouldn't invest any money into a new ice maker module, its probably time to go refrigerator shopping.

Jake