• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Refrigerator GI6FDRXXY07 ice maker problem

Bankman

Premium Member
Model Number
GI6FDRXXY07
Brand
Whirlpool
We have a Whirlpool GI6FDRXXY07 refrigerator with a W20377151 ice maker that is not making ice. We tried the "jumper wire" in ports L and V and the water flowed in. So the valve is working. The water that came in was made into ice, so the ice maker is working. But it's not working continuously. What would cause this?

Also, we have a constant problem with the water line freezing if the ice maker sits inactive for a while. Is there a way to prevent this? Insulate the line somehow?

Thanks

Corrected model number

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
G16FDRXXX07 doesn't pull up as good, take a photo of the model number tag if you could please and upload it so we can verify it.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You got too many X's. It should be GI6FDRXXY07.

Here's the parts diagram for your model:

Do you have a freezer thermometer you can put in the ice maker compartment to tell me what it reads? It needs to be 10 degrees F or colder at all times. Most stores sell freezer thermometers for about $10 and they last a lifetime.

Jake

Bankman

Premium Member
I don't have a thermometer. It is set at 0 degrees and it is making ice if water is manually put in.
We are actually leaving for a while but I was hoping to get it resolved before we left. If there isn't something somewhat easy we can check, maybe we'll wait and revisit after we return. Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Water can freeze at 32 degrees F, so that's why its very important to get a freezer thermometer and check the temp. in the ice maker compartment, because if its not a constant 10 degrees F or lower at all times, the ice maker will never cycle the ice out.

If it is 10 degrees F or lower, then the problem is the ice maker itself.

Here's the ice maker kit for your model:
Ice Maker W10882923

It comes with new wiring that you MUST replace as well.

Watch this video:

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, The armature in the water inlet valve solenoid coil is not seating correctly on the diaphragm and it's letting a small amount of water past, thus freezing the water line.

Here's the water inlet valve for your model:
whirlpool-valve-dual-water-wpw10312696-ap6019288_01_m.jpg

I believe this video is basically the same for replacing that water inlet valve:

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.