• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool refrigerator model WRV986FDEM01 the interior lights, ice and water don't work

Markandrewholma

Premium Member
Model Number
WRV986FDEM01
Brand
Whirlpool
the interior lights, ice and water don't work on my whirlpool refrigerator model WRV986FDEM01.
I was told to unplug the board in the back of the refrigerator and the one on the Produce drawer. I can take the one off of the back but I don't know how to take the 1 off of the drawer. Anyone?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Unplug which board from the back? The LED driver board? Don't do that YET, in fact don't disconnect any wire connectors from any boards YET. READ BELOW FIRST!

Yes, Our tech bigbuck posted a service bulletin about this problem: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OUD3L2YYjwGY48xB2u1jH-LMZXwtUl4a

Unplug your refrigerator first, then disconnect the Pantry UI and see if everything starts working properly again. If so then unplug the refrigerator first, and check your Pantry UI wire harness first to see if you notice a short in it, if no short then the problem is the Pantry UI control board.

Here's the Pantry UI control board for your model:

Look how bad the Pantry UI board was damaged here:

This should be the video to access it:

Check for any broken Pantry UI(User Interface) wires as well in the Pantry UI wire harness.

Here's the Pantry UI(User Interface) wire harness for your model:

Here's the video to access/replace it:

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Markandrewholma

Premium Member
So I did the UI board...unplugged the refrigerator unplugged the board that didn't work. Unplug the refrigerator again disconnected all the wires to the board on the back put them back on plugged back in and that didn't work either... what does that mean?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Which board did you disconnect the wires from? The Pantry UI Board or the LED driver board in the back of the refrigerator?

Or Both?

Now remove the Pantry UI board wire harness and leave the LED driver board in the back of the refrigerator plugged in and try it.

If still does not work remove the wire connectors from the LED driver board in the back of the refrigerator unplugged and try it while the Pantry UI wire harness is removed.

Jake