• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Refrigerator Model: WRX988SIBM01 SerNo: K53104050 Was making ice, then stopped. Then followed by loss of cooling

BrianKTrimble

Premium Member
Model Number
WRX988SIBM01
Brand
Whirlpool
Was making ice, then stopped making ice.
Set temp for fridge and freezer to the lowest setting, 34 and -5 respectively, the results are fridge stays at 60-64, pantry at 40-44, and freezer at 20-24.

Whirlpool support recommended removing power for 10 minutes to reset fridge; this was done; no improvement.

Disassembled freezer to view coils and evaporator fan behind freezer. Fan is running but coils are iced up, see photo 01
After defrosting coils, started back up, photo 2 show coils 15 minutes after startup.
After doing this the same symptoms are present. and same results

After locating Technical Sheet for running Service Diagnostics W10503798 (Located under upper RH Refrigerator door bracket), yes, that is where they are, I am working on that now and will post results.
As I work through diagnostics, am working to determine status of Bi-Metal Thermostat based on multiple related threads and research calling this item out.
Any assistance is appreciated. Thank-you

Attachments

• WRX988SIBM01-Photo01-20210514.jpg
    WRX988SIBM01-Photo01-20210514.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 90
  • WRX988SIBM01- Photo02-20210514.jpg
    WRX988SIBM01- Photo02-20210514.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 116

dashriprok

Premium Member
Check to make sure your condenser fan (fan next to compressor) is running and that condenser coils aren't clogged with lint and pet hair. If condenser fan is running and condenser coils are clean, then you have a freon leak. On refrigerators like yours, I've had good success adding refrigerant & leak sealer and having it be a long lasting repair.

BrianKTrimble

Premium Member
Service diagnostic results are attached. Based on results, it would appear, most, if not all, functions are working.
I am curious how more experienced technicians may interpret the results. Highlights:
Test 56 - E1 No cooling - No clear on exactly what this means; maybe loss of refrigerator cooling or cooling to ice bucket?
Test 57 - When this step dumped the 5 ice cubes into ice bucket, I interpreted as ice maker is or may be working as expected??

Also, can anyone explain why why the "Order Filter" (Perhaps just a reminder) displays upon diagnostic startup and then changes to "Replace Filter" which stays lit while in diagnostic mode?
I just ordered a couple of of the everydrop filters and replaced the one that was in the fridge when we took occupancy of the home. Filter status reads as 85% remaining.

Attachments

• WRX988SIBM01- ServiceDiagnosticResult-20210515.txt
    771 bytes · Views: 74

BrianKTrimble

Premium Member
Check to make sure your condenser fan (fan next to compressor) is running and that condenser coils aren't clogged with lint and pet hair. If condenser fan is running and condenser coils are clean, then you have a freon leak. On refrigerators like yours, I've had good success adding refrigerant & leak sealer and having it be a long lasting repair.
This is something I would require a service technician for; I have a pending service call next week; based on symptoms and this note, I get the feeling I should take that service call and have a certified Whirlpool technician consider or perform this work, have I got this correct?

BrianKTrimble

Premium Member
This is something I would require a service technician for; I have a pending service call next week; based on symptoms and this note, I get the feeling I should take that service call and have a certified Whirlpool technician consider or perform this work, have I got this correct?
to dashriprok regarding note on compressor fan and cleaning condenser coils; am taking a look under the cover of the back of fridge this morning.

BrianKTrimble

Premium Member
to dashriprok regarding note on compressor fan and cleaning condenser coils; am taking a look under the cover of the back of fridge this morning.
I took s look at this today; there was a significant amount of dirt and residue, perhaps from the home being worked on. When I first went into the back, I did not notice but the compressor fan was not turning until I bumped it with the vacuum cleaner head I was using; that got my attention :) The compressor is more than warm, we have a no-touch thermometer that gave a reading of 132.9; is that warmer than it should be?

Within 10 minutes of doing this the ice maker dumped 5 more ice cubes; this is after running yesterday's service diagnostics. After dumping ice cubes, it sounded like the ice maker refilled with water.
Will keep an eye on this today. I have read where performing certain functions may result in the fridge working for between 15 and 30 days before symptoms return. Once of the posts on this blog reference that.

Appreciate any more guidance, if I cannot get this working by Tuesday I will have Whirlpool service technician troubleshoot it for me. Thank-you.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
dashriprok should be here shortly.

When I first went into the back, I did not notice but the compressor fan was not turning until I bumped it with the vacuum cleaner head I was using; that got my attention
It sounds like the condenser fan motor is sticking and not running the condenser fan blade, thus the compressor overheats and it stops cooling properly. Yes 132.9 degrees to way to hot.

If that condenser fan motor is NOT running again when it should be running, then you will need to replace it.

Here's the condenser fan motor for your model:
W11127829 Motor-Cond

Jake