Whirlpool refrigerator not cooling on both sides, compressor starts for 5 sec then off

mega123

Model Number
GC5SHEXNB00
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi,
It started with the rubber shield on both sides being very hot but the cooling inside both were fine. Then, water came thru the ice cup. The next day, the refrigerator on both sides were not cooling. All the fans are working. The digital control shows 57 (freezer) and 61 (refrigerator). I checked the compressor in the back at the bottom of the fridge and found out the fan next to it runs all the time but the compressor will start running for about 5 seconds then slowly dying down. After 15 minutes, the compressor will start again, runs for 5 seconds, then dying down. I called the appliance parts store and the men told me the compressor is bad. Then, I called a repair guy and told him the whole scenario. He told me it could be the starting terminal or the compressor. So, I do not know what to do. The compressor is made by EMBARCO. PLEASE HELP.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If the condenser fan next to the compressor is running, then its likely the inverter board that's bad, it supplies power to the compressor.

Unplug your refrigerator then open the inverter box plastic case up, check for any burnt components on the inverter board.

Here's the inverter board for your model you can order:
Whirlpool W10629033 Invrtr-Box

Jake