• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool Refrigerator working sporadically. 2010 model ED5VHEXVQ01

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rfoster143

Premium Member
Model Number
ED5VHEXVQ01
Brand
Whirlpool
Noticed recently that my freezer and refrigerator were getting warmer. Compressor was not running nor were any fans. The lights were on so power was not an issue. I have a 3 N 1 hard start (Supco 410) so figured I’d try that to see if the compressor would kick on. It took about 15 mins and it finally started running. Not sure if it ever cycled on and off but when I checked it a few hours later the compressor was off and things were warming up again inside.

I discovered if I messed around with the Freezer temp control adjustment knob located on the refrigerator side I could get the compressor and fans to kick on. What happens is I can feel a spot when turning the knob where it “clicks”. I can’t think of a perfect word to describe the feel but it’s like a notch or a hard spot you have to turn past. That spot moves around also.

It doesn’t always work either, it might take a little while of turning it back and forth past that point then suddenly when I pass that “notchy” spot it will all kick on. Sometimes I have to turn it almost all the way back to the cold side and it will kick on. The spot seem to move around and can feel it sometime 2 times as I sweep the knob from one end to the other.

So it seems to me there is something in that circuit that is causing this issue. When the unit is running it cools just fine. Just when it kicks off, it doesn’t always restart. Help!

Attachments

• 0826211208.jpg
    0826211208.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 24

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I discovered if I messed around with the Freezer temp control adjustment knob located on the refrigerator side I could get the compressor and fans to kick on. What happens is I can feel a spot when turning the knob where it “clicks”. I can’t think of a perfect word to describe the feel but it’s like a notch or a hard spot you have to turn past. That spot moves around also.
You nailed it!

You need the temperature control thermostat:
Temperature Control Thermostat WP2198202

Video Included in part link.

Take that 3 n 1 hard start kit off, that will BLOW out your compressor faster than you can say Limited Edition Perfect Dark Zero Xbox 360 face plate. LOL

Jake

Rfoster143

Premium Member
Thanks for help. I already pulled the hard start off and that is the exact part I was thinking I needed.
Funny thing.. I suppose after messing with the Freezer knob it has rattled/shaken up the contacts in the controller so its currently working perfect. Going to order that part though and switch it out.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, the temperature control thermostats are very common to start wearing out and causing this problem after 10 years. I replaced about 100 of them for my customers in the last 34 years as a career appliance tech.

Yes, put your original compressor start relay back in place.:)

Those 3 n 1 hard start kits are mainly for the really old compressors pre 1995.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent @Rfoster143 glad to hear the new temperature control thermostat fixed it, also glad you put the original relay/cap back in.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.