• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool Refrigerator WRF535SMBM00 leaking water onto floor

goolie

Premium Member
Model Number
WRF535SMBM00
Brand
Whirlpool
Our Whirlpool WRF535SMBM00 leaks water onto the floor every few days or so. Turned off the icemaker, and it still happened (maybe not as much??). Some google searching shows that the drip pan, or the drain tube could be the culprit. I opened the back to see if I could tell if the drip pan was cracked, but I couldn't tell. So I poured a cup of water in there, no leaking yet an hour later.

I also noticed that the existing drain pipe looks like this one: https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drain-Pipe/W10619951/2887289

Any ideas?

goolie

Premium Member
Oh also, earlier this month I removed a ton of ice from the bottom of the freezer that had collected there, which had started to make it difficult to open/close the freezer. I think it'd been collecting there for a long time.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Its likely the drain pipe is clogged up or the drain line to the drain pipe is clogged up.

First pull the refrigerator out from the wall again and remove the drain pipe and see if its clogged up, flush it out with hot water just to make sure.

Watch this video to remove and replace it:

If the drain pipe is clear, then its the drain line that's clogged up, watch this video below to clear it out:

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

goolie

Premium Member
Jake, it was a clogged drain pipe!

When I first flushed water down it, a little water came out the other end and at first I couldn't see anything down the pipe with my flashlight. Poured some hot water down there and did a bunch more flushing and the water flow was a bit better and I was just about to put it back in and hope for the best when I took one last look and saw the blockage. I ended up fashioning a snake out of two plastic straws taped together with electrical tape. Ew! Gunk! But very satisfying. Flushed more water though there and could tell it's flowin'.

It's all back together, hopefully no more leaking, that drain line clearout process looks like a PITA!

I'll report back in a few days and let you know if the leaking has stopped.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good job.(y)

Yes, keep us posted.:)

Jake

goolie

Premium Member
Jake,

I'm afraid the leak is back, seems about the same as in the past.

I guess I should first see if the tube got blocked up again. If it's clear, I guess I need to clear out the drain line.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, flush the drain out with hot water and pour a little bleach down the drain tube.

Jake

grover1222

Premium Member
I think we have a similar problem, we have a WRS970CIDM00 and the condenser about 2/3 down the back of the fridge compartment has water collecting in the bottom. This fills up, then spills over the front, then pours to the bottom of the fridge under the lowest drawer. It collects there and drips out from under the fridge. Is this the same drain pipe that is clogged?

Thanks for the help!

Todd.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Todd, yours is a little different.

Here's the drain tube for your model:
W11409190 Drain tube

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Oh definitely try to clean it out first.:)

Use compressed air down it, or run something flexible down it, then hot water down it.

Jake

grover1222

Premium Member
I was able to take it out and clean it, it was pretty dirty. Hopefully that does the trick.

That was not easy to remove and put back and I couldn't figure out how to move the drip tray. Hopefully I don't have to do that again!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, glad you got it cleaned out, yes hopefully that fixes it.(y)

Jake