• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool Refrigerator WRF560SFYW00 Not Cooling (detailed sensor data in post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoogaBooga

Premium Member
Model Number
WRF560SFYW00
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi Everyone, I would appreciate some help here, bit of a long post.

Initially I found that the compressor would not turn on (but the condenser fan would). Per the wiring diagram the fan and compressor are on the same circuit so this mean that the starter relay or the run cap was bad. I replaced both and the compressor turns on every time the condenser fan does.

I let the fridge run overnight (albeit pretty empty) and noticed that the compressor and everything was working as usual.
The following day I noticed that the freezer was warm. I put some water bottles in there and initially they froze but the following day they started thawing.

I opened up the control board and measured the thermistors (FC, RC and EVAP)

When the fridge has been running for a ~6 hours
  • EVAP thermistor was around -4F (~26.6kohm)
  • RC thermistor was around 10F (~17kohm)
  • FC thermistor was around 40F (~7kohm)
After ~12 hours, the freezer had started to thaw
  • EVAP thermistor was around 50F (~4.9kohm)
  • RC thermistor was around 57F (~4.4kohm)
  • FC thermistor was around 50F (~5.1kohm)
  • The evap fan is running
  • Compressor is not running
  • No water in the collection tray
I opened the back of the freezer to have a look at the evap coil. The sensor looked ok (I tested it with cold/warm water) and compared to a thermocouple measurement as well and it matched.
The evap coil got cold and eventually had a light frost to it after running for about 10 minutes
The heater was initially warm to the touch after applying power to the fridge. After a few minutes the heater turned off and the compressor and evap fan continued to run.

Anyway I am at my wits end now. I suppose the next step is the thermistors and the control board but I don't want to throw more money at it if its a sealed system issue.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
FC thermistor was around 40F
That's not good, F(FREEZER) C(COMPARTMENT) is reading 40F, that's way too high while the compressor was running, correct? for 6 hours?

Do you have a freezer thermometer you can put in the freezer? We need a second opinion on that. You can buy a cheap freezer thermometer at any store in your area for about $10.00 Get the RED LIQUID or DIGITAL style.

Jake

BoogaBooga

Premium Member
Hi Jake,
I got the numbers backwards.
When everything was cold (checked after 6hrs)

FC: 10°F
RC: 40°F
EVAP: -4°F
Compressor: Cycled on and off at least once during the 6 hours.

I verified the sensor readings with a separate multimeter/thermocouple. The freezer was around 10°F using the thermocouple measurement as well.

In the morning (about 12) hours later everything was warm and the evaporator (inside) fan was continuously running but the condenser fan and compressor were not. I don't know if this was some defrost mode but I don't imagine it was.
When I remove power and power on again the compressor kicks in again after about 30-60 seconds.

Looks like the controller board gets confused and does not turn on the compressor relay.

I'll open it up again and see if there is a particular frost patter developing after a few hours.
I've attached the wiring diagram.

Attachments

• serviceandwiringsheet-w10536933-reva.pdf
    413.5 KB · Views: 49

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'll open it up again and see if there is a particular frost patter developing after a few hours.
Yes, do that. Normal frost pattern is a thin layer of frost on ALL the coils from TOP to BOTTOM.

Sounds like the control board is possibly the problem since the condenser fan and compressor are not coming on when the temps rise that much.

Here's the control board for your model:
W11034366

Jake

BoogaBooga

Premium Member
After 2 hours:
FC: -6.7F, 28.5k,
Thermocouple = -6.5F
Evap: -17F 41.6k

The picture of the evaporator coil is attached. Looks pretty even to me. Will leave running longer to see if any ice develops.

Attachments

• IMG_3793.jpeg
    IMG_3793.jpeg
    319.1 KB · Views: 50

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, your evaporator coil looks perfect!

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent @BoogaBooga glad to hear the new control board fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.