• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Refrigerator WRF736SDAB13 Freezer Frosting over (after parts replacement)

Operative_Alex

Premium Member
Model Number
WRF736SDAB13
Brand
Whirlpool
Hey All.

For the last month or so, I've been dealing with the back of my freezer frosting up. This all began shortly after a routine cleaning of the coils underneath the unit. Initially, I thought the defrost switch was faulty and since it was only a ~$10 part, I spliced a new one in. Fast forward about 10 days and the back of the freezer was frosted again. This time, I checked the defrost line itself and it still showed continuity, but the way the frost was built up, it had looked as if the evaporator fan wasn't running properly. So I bit the bullet and replaced the evaporator fan, which came with a new thermistor and a new defrost switch (again) another two weeks have passed and my freezer is frozen solid again.

In my searching, I discovered this forum and used the service manual I found in another thread to enter diagnostics mode, when testing the defrost heater/bi-metal the freezer (while frozen) is showing the bi-metal as open. But the bi-metal (that's the defrost switch, right?) is brand new

I'm running out of ideas (and things to replace). Any help would be appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Alex,

This model uses a normal defrost thermostat, not a evaporator thermistor for the defrost cycle.

Make sure the defrost thermostat is covered in frost before you do the diagnostics. Because it has to be frosty for it to be CLOSED and for the heating element to come ON.

If its not frosty, Watch this video:

Leave it in the ice water for at least 5 minutes before ohm testing it

Yes, you are correct--->The defrost thermostat on this model only comes with the evaporator fan motor.

Here it is below, its the black round part with the metal clip on it.

Evaporator Fan Motor WPW10514110

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Operative_Alex

Premium Member
Hey Jake,

That's exactly what I've replaced already. Are you suggesting I test the defrost switch just in case the new part is bad?

When I was running the diagnostic's this morning, the entire back of the freezer was a sheet of ice. I'd imagine it was cool enough for it to be closed, but i didn't take it apart to verify.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Are you suggesting I test the defrost switch just in case the new part is bad?
Yes, exactly.

When I was running the diagnostic's this morning, the entire back of the freezer was a sheet of ice. I'd imagine it was cool enough for it to be closed, but i didn't take it apart to verify.
You have to verify it.:)

Jake